Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please make it stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please make it stop

I'm no where nearcomplete with my first Disco project and I'm already comtemplatinggetting another Disco. The ad states

"2000 Discovery II with 140K miles, great parts car. Does not run due to no oil pressure. Diagnosed by dealership too much to repair. Requires towing, Serious Inquiries only."

The asking price is $1500.I sent an email to inquire if the engine runs, the owner replied and says it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't. I'm trying to set up a time/date when I can go take a look at the truck. It's obvious it has a oil pressure problem, the question is how much damagehas occured with no oilpressure. At worst it sounds like a engine swapis in order.Are the oil pumps external? Can the 2000 model be afflicted with the oil pump problems like the 2003?

Can someone guide me to a source for used engines.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Please make it stop

The oil pump is part of the front engine cover. It might just be a really bad sludge problem.
No this trk is not prone to the oil pump problem of the '03's, different engine. The '03 is the first year for the 4.6 engine in the Disco. They had to change the front cover to make it fit and in doing so there was a defect in the design for the first 6 months or so.
Like you said, at worst you put in a used engine and then sell it and still make money.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/

Old 04-01-2008, 06:55 AM
TReK

Buy a Disco I for parts,,, then you can take two and make a great one and have back up parts that you never knew you needed!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would jump on that one if you don't mind the work. if it were me i would just replace the engine. i don't like oil pump/pressure problems. i got an eng out of a 2000 disco with 36k miles when i did my engine swap, it only cost 2k.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Here's an update

A few days ago I went to look at the truck.The husband was very polite and cool but he did say the ad was incorrect because they misunderstood the extent of the work that was needed for the engine. First thing that wentthrough my mind was "the old bait and switch"

Anyways, after I got there he started thetruck. The oil pressure light was off, there was no tapping or knocking. Just a power steering pump whine and/or belt squealing. After checking the oil, that's when he said there was water in the oil. It wasan overheating problem and not a oil pressure problem.

So he said he couldn't accept $1500 but to make an offer.So I made an offer of $2500 and he said that sounds very possible. He'll get back in touch with me to let me know.

Now it's time to doresearch on what used engines are going for andto see if$2500 is still worth it for me.

The saga continues

Old 04-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You have lots of ways to go, a used or new short block, stepping up to a 4.6 Bosch short block, a complete engine.
By the way, before you do anything, does your truck have a secondary air injection engine or not, makes a difference on what you can then use.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Water in the oil would mean a blown head gasket. Might only set you back $1500 to get it running.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Water in the oil would mean a blown head gasket. Might only set you back $1500 to get it running.
I assume you're refering to parts and lablor. Hopefully for me, it will only be parts.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike
You have lots of ways to go, a used or new short block, stepping up to a 4.6 Bosch short block, a complete engine.
By the way, before you do anything, does your truck have a secondary air injection engine or not, makes a difference on what you can then use.
You're correct, from searching the internet for used engines, that's one question that was asked.Secondary air induction or not. Does the VIN tell you if it has SAI or not? Is there anything external on the engine that will let me know if it has a SAI or not?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Rock Crawling

If it matters, it does have a Bosch engine (pic taken from AB website)With it being a 2000, is that a given?

Quick Reply: Please make it stop