Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in the proposed bumper design?
Yes you would buy one
50.00%
No you would not buy one
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: New style HD bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Talking POLL: New style HD bumper

Alright guys Im putting a poll together as leverage to show that there is demand and potential for a brand new style off road heavy duty winch bumpers. My stock bumper recently collided with a snow bank and now has a couple cracks in it. Consequently will not pass my next state inspection. Not a big deal because I wanted to get a HD bumper anyways but I do not like any of the available options Ive yet seen. Im also not digging the idea of universal bumper that is commonly used on Toyota, Jeep, Honda etc as is the case with the universal ARB bumper. I want something truly unique and specific to our vehicles. Here are some examples of HD bumpers I dislike:

Name:  IMG_4211_zps9c206d89.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  968bf955_zps751f25eb.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  114.2 KB

Name:  9459D2A_LARGE_zps62a71086.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  115.2 KB

I do like the factory A-Frame brush bar that Land Rover offered but I know first hand how brittle and cheap they are plus they dont offer any room for a winch:

Name:  f_327058785-3673902742_zpse80aefa1.jpeg
Views: 424
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  973891_10151745797312189_956250269_n_zpsd91c340a.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  73.0 KB

If a bumper could be fabricated which closely resembles the original bumper, with a optional built in A-Frame brush bar, a mount for 2 driving lamps AND a discrete winch than that would be excellent. The bumper would be heavy duty and impact resistant, would have rounded edges and notches of some sort would be made on the ends so that colored plastic end caps could be fitted over the metal. It would basically look like a normal bumper except it would stick out a couple inches more. I dont think it would be all that difficult to fabricate especially if they had a factory bumper to use as a reference. Im looking for someone with the means and the time to fabricate this new style of off road heavy duty bumpers. If anyone on here is interested and would be willing to buy one than please participate in this poll. The point here is to get enough people together who would buy one if someone rose up to the challenge of fabricating them. That way it would be profitable for everyone.

Would you buy this bumper?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm not sure how many people will be interested in a HD bumper with the same awful approach angle as the stock, but I agree some designs are old and someone needs to come out with something new. Currently I think Terrafirma has the cleanest look out there.

Name:  xkEGVOB.png
Views: 19
Size:  630.6 KB

Old 01-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

what about the arb, painted to match. imo that is a pretty nice street tough yet capable if need be look.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:03 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Zack if im not mistaken your D2 is not your daily driver, so you can afford to change the gear ratios and add tons of weight and rip off everything on the truck in favor of a rock crawler. For everyone else who like me depends on this vehicle as my toy and my daily driver, I just want it to look clean and still practical for the highway.

with a lift and large tires that is more than enough clearance for what I would ever need and the angle is perfect. Because i do not want to sacrifice highway capabilities. I like the idea of a hidden off road vehicle. Looks almost stock, no bulkly parts on the bumper and a discrete winch. Best of both worlds.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Camel Trophy

It is my daily driver

40 minutes each way

Last edited by ZGPhoto; 01-20-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I'm not sure how many people will be interested in a HD bumper with the same awful approach angle as the stock, but I agree some designs are old and someone needs to come out with something new. Currently I think Terrafirma has the cleanest look out there.

This bumper looks really cool. One thing I would really like to see is a bumper like that painted in a factory bumper paint scheme. Since your truck is black that would be hard to pull off. But for blue or silver for example you could tape the center side of the bumper off and leave it black then the rest blue or whatever your body color is.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Camel Trophy

That's not my truck or bumper, but I hear you. A few people do that with the ARBs.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Camel Trophy

BTW Julian, I just got off the phone with the owner of that black one I posted. It is for sale, 04 with minimal rust, TF front and rear bumpers with sliders. Interested? It's in manchester VT

Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto

I sure wish Terrafirma made stuff in the USA, I would buy more of there stuff.
I'm not a die hard "Made in USA" person, but stuff like this for some reason seems important to me.
I run a Tactical Rover (or what ever there new legally compliant non-Rover name is now). Give them a call, drop them an email, they are great folks. I know lots of guys that run the RTE stuff as well.

ARB is nice (I had one before I sold and got my TR one). A guy in our club has one painted like the picture to match his truck (thanks to an accident).

Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love a stock looking bumper that wouldnt break. I wonder what the costs on something that clean looking would be? Probably wouldnt be very affordable with the brush guard on the front.
I'm certainly in for more info though.
I'm also not a fan of the hardcore off road bumper but dont want to spend $600 on another bumper that will break if looked at sideways.

I found this one from a Greek company but there are very few pictures of it. Not that I'd be able to get it here anyway.

Quick Reply: POLL: New style HD bumper