Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in the proposed bumper design?
Yes you would buy one
50.00%
No you would not buy one
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: New style HD bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like this one, but I'm also fond of the TF bumper. I do like that the TF bumper doesn't stick out in front so far. It's fairly close to the front of the vehicle. But, on the other hand, having the bumper protrude out away from the vehicle will give a little more protection from things hitting the front of the truck.

Attached Thumbnails POLL: New style HD bumper-c4x4-front-bumper-okc.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True the hlc doesnt look anything like a stock bumper but i think its one of the best looking front hd bumpers out there (for a slightly less agressive look i believe its also available w/o the a bar or brush gaurd). But personally i think it looks fantastic with the a bar

*not my disco
POLL: New style HD bumper-image-3104244530.jpg

Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Agreed I think the HLC is the best looking as well. Though I'm quite positive you have a better chance of learning to cut, bend and weld, to make one out of uranium and unobtanium that weights less than 2 pounds than you do getting one from Denny.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by flavo
I'd love a stock looking bumper that wouldnt break. I wonder what the costs on something that clean looking would be? Probably wouldnt be very affordable with the brush guard on the front.
I'm certainly in for more info though.
I'm also not a fan of the hardcore off road bumper but dont want to spend $600 on another bumper that will break if looked at sideways.

I found this one from a Greek company but there are very few pictures of it. Not that I'd be able to get it here anyway.

Ive never seen this bumper before. By far the best looking and cleanest yet. This bumper has alot of potential because it almost looks clean and the corners are very well done. Something along these lines but with flush fog light setup and some work on the middle portion to match the stock bumper and it would be 90%! Other than that the only thing I would ask for is discrete winch setup and "Optional" mounted A-Frame brush bar. A true heavy duty a frame brush bar that is.... like what police crusiers use on their cars and suv's. I believe those are made to withstand impact.

About the ARB. They look OKAY when painted, and a bit better with the bull bar BUT after looking in my ARB catalog and seeing all the Toyota's, Nissans, and Jeeps using the same style ARB bumper on their rigs, Ive decided against using one. Again I want something that is specifically designed for Land Rover Discovery models. Something you wont see on another make. Something different but clean and heavy duty. I see so many people on here doing the same stuff to their trucks. Its cool and all and always I enjoy ready those build threads but at the same time I prefer something different. Something less common. I really like the idea of hiding all the tough stuff underneath a shell. Let the competitors under estimate my truck LET THEM! Then watch their ****ing draws drop when my Disco comes out the victor at the end of the track

Zack I would have to sell my disco first. Still have not made up my mind. Really wish I did not have to worry about the chassis. How much does he want for it? What trim level is it and how many miles? What state is his engine in?

5 votes so far, awesome keep it up guys. There needs to be a new option for people so lets keep at it. Please vote yes so we can encourage fabricators on this forum to step up to the challenge.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

This thread is going nowhere fast. You have proposed an idea, not an actual bumper. From reading the replies I can safely say opinions are like a**holes and everybody has one. Everyone's "perfect" bumper is going to vary slightly. It sounds like you're trying to get a "run" of bumpers made???? IMO a HD bumper is worthless without a recovery point so you may want to include that.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by fishEH
This thread is going nowhere fast. You have proposed an idea, not an actual bumper. From reading the replies I can safely say opinions are like a**holes and everybody has one. Everyone's "perfect" bumper is going to vary slightly. It sounds like you're trying to get a "run" of bumpers made???? IMO a HD bumper is worthless without a recovery point so you may want to include that.
Your opinions in the "ProShaft" saga were just that, and your extreme bias for Tom Woods is another story. But yes we all have opinions. I made it very clear in original post why i made this thread. I had previously seen fellow members talk about wanting a new style bumper that resembled their original bumper but stronger. I now need a bumper myself and I to want the same thing so I thought that making a Poll and getting enough support/interest in the idea would be enough leverage to persuade a fabricator to come up with a new design that closely matches my description. Im not a engineer and I do not have the means to formally design or construct a HD bumper. Ive seen a couple members on here claim they can do custom bumpers as well so seems logical to start here. I cant imagine a fabricator going out of their way to design a new HD bumper design for just one buyer. But if a handful of people were interested than that might make it worth the fabricators time. and yes recovery points would be another good addition, thanks for the input. Forgot all about those.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd personally like the safari gard with the three lights, I'm building a slightly moded version of the safari gard just stronger. Personally, I'd say If you wanted a bumper just hire someone to make you a custom bumper to your own designs. Your not going to get a company to manufacture a new line of bumpers off of a few posts.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Dane!
I'd personally like the safari gard with the three lights, I'm building a slightly moded version of the safari gard just stronger. Personally, I'd say If you wanted a bumper just hire someone to make you a custom bumper to your own designs. Your not going to get a company to manufacture a new line of bumpers off of a few posts.
Please read above. Thank you. No mention of a company per say, rather that a couple members ON THIS FORUM have offered to fabricate custom bumpers. If you are one of those people with the means to do so than feel free to send me a PM. I already have a post in the wanted section.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

You're missing my point but Dane! gets it. Look back through the responses and every single person wants something a little bit different. You aren't going to get even 5 people to agree on their perfect bumper.
Any fabricator worth his weight should be able to whip up a custom bumper for you pretty easily. Be wary of the guys that say they can do it for $300. Like most things you get what you pay for. Talk to a real fabricator and see what he can whip up for you. Then if it's good enough other people will want to buy it. This is exactly what Greg Davis does. He had s bumper built, people wanted to buy it, he pays a fabricator to build them, and Greg resells them to the target market.

You're asking people to vote on an idea. Basically "do you want a really clean looking HD winch bumper?". Of course everyone is going to say Yes! Who is going to say "No I want an ugly POS"? The problem is everyone's opinion of a really clean winch bumper is totally different. For God's sake, some people thought the Bottorf front bumper looked good!!! That should tell you how skewed some people's taste is.
This is, of course, just MY opinion.

PS. Do you really want to dig up the whole driveshaft debacle?? That didn't turn out for any of the bangwagoneers as I recall. And it's not a biased towards Tom Woods, it's skepticism of some new unproven product costing damn near the cost of a time tested reputable product.

Last edited by fishEH; 01-21-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
This bumper looks really cool. One thing I would really like to see is a bumper like that painted in a factory bumper paint scheme. Since your truck is black that would be hard to pull off. But for blue or silver for example you could tape the center side of the bumper off and leave it black then the rest blue or whatever your body color is.
Here is an examples of body color bumpers:

Touqre Performance (UK):
Rock Bumper – Facelift | Torque Performance 4×4
Rock Bumper – Non Facelift | Torque Performance 4×4

Other aftermarket pumpers for ideas:
Extreme 4x4: Extreme 4x4 Ltd DISCOVERY 2 WINCH BUMPER WITH LIGHTS
First Fours: Shadow Winch Bumper for Discovery 2 with Fog Lights

Quick Reply: POLL: New style HD bumper