Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portland Oregon Rover wars

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koimaster
The o rings had blown again so the new repair guy calls me to take a look at what he found under there. An aftermarket heater core, no O-rings period, just a massive amount of silicone, tape and plastic ties. The metal heating lines had been cut and put back together with rubber glue.
The whole story sounds like a huge mess. This o-ring thing is amazing. Did you go back to them for the heater core after the engine issue? Please tell us you didn't.

I had some work done earlier this year by Columbia Roving in NW. No issues. Good communications and worked with her. They are the ones who figured out my hesitation issue from rolling stop was transfer case fluid rather than transmission.

Last edited by RipD; 12-02-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

From reading an assortment of yelp reviews, I have concluded, in my opinion, that Green Oval is the leading Rover repair shop in Portland Oregon. I've seen the others. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Tomzsix
From reading an assortment of yelp reviews, I have concluded, in my opinion, that Green Oval is the leading Rover repair shop in Portland Oregon. I've seen the others. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
I had a less than good experience with Green Oval. I don't want to trash them here and consider the experience a one-off. Everybody can have a bad day. They didn't try to rip me off at all - they just missed something very obvious on an inspection. Doug seems knowledgeable and appears to be a good guy.

I think I mentioned this before, I've had two good experiences with Columbia Roving. They seem passionate about Rovers (as expected) and have done a good job for me. Only two times there is not a huge amount of experience, but no issues.

Last edited by RipD; 12-03-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:34 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RipD
I had a less than good experience with Green Oval. I don't want to trash them here and consider it a one-off. Everybody can have a bad day. They didn't try to rip me off at all - they just missed something very obvious on an inspection. Doug seems knowledgeable and appears to be a good guy.

I think I mentioned this before, I've had two good experiences with Columbia Roving. They seem passionate about Rovers (as expected) and have done a good job for me. Only two times there is not a huge amount of experience, but no issues.
I have had good experiences with Columbia Roving. I'll continue to take my Disco there.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by BoeingBoeing
RipD,

The guy's name is Rob, not Brian. My bad. He is primarily a Ford diesel shop, but he's also a certified Rover mechanic. He's also very free with his knowledge. He'll do the repair if you want, but if you want to tackle it yourself he'll tell you how to do it at no charge. He's kind of the best kept secret in these parts.

Anyway, I've had very good luck with him.
Just FYI, I've tried calling for 2+ months and have never had anybody answer the phone nor have my messages been returned.

I suspect he's either not taking new customers or is no longer working on Rovers. I considered driving there to ask in person but have the time during the week.