Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post filter change issues on 2003 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 01:03 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Post transmission filter change issues on 2003 Discovery

Here goes...
thought I would do some maintenance on my 2003 transmission. I had done a filter and fluid change on my 2001 so I thought it would be a breeze. Not so fast lol.
did the change with a filter and gaskets for AB. My 1-2 shift and 2-3 got strange. The gear will hold much longer than normal before shifting up at medium throttle. I thought maybe I was low on fluid so go back to flat ground with a warm truck to check and when I opened the fill plug maybe 1/3 of a quart came out. I should say fluid looked good that came out initially as well as every time since. Not sure why fluid came out cause I was very diligent with the change and followed the AB video to a T. Ran pretty well after that started delay shifting and even hard shifts. I thought maybe I missed one of the orings or somehow it did not sit right. So I got the filter kit from NAPA and did another drain and filter replacement. The AB filters orings were fine. The Napa filter seemed heavier than the AB. Went with Valvoline synthetic AFT. Same issues. I have a friend that flashed the tcu and it ran great for about 19 miles. So smooth but then fell back into the same story. Recently it has started to bang 2x when slowing to a stop at about 5mph. I removed the rear driveshaft to see if that was the issue then reinstalled and removed the front driveshaft. No change although the bang noise is less pronounced with the front driveshaft removed. I can replace the trans but it kind of seems almost electronic more than mechanical (because of the flash) thoughts?

Last edited by DiscoBuckeye; 06-13-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:17 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Weird. I have heard stories like this before most don’t bother with the filter change just fluid But I have heard stories of shifting issues after this maintenance. Maybe add the Lucas additive ??

did you check the fluid with the engine running

Old 06-13-2021, 03:22 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Maybe add the Lucas additive ??

did you check the fluid with the engine running
I am going to try Lucas. Wondering if it's possible to have gotten 2 defective filters. My research here points to air in the system.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

yes, air in valves #1. changing the filter should in no way affect the valve body except that it somehow drained....

You have to fill trans and cycle all the gears while running.....

Old 06-14-2021, 02:43 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by XRAD
yes, air in valves #1. changing the filter should in no way affect the valve body except that it somehow drained....

You have to fill trans and cycle all the gears while running.....
I have done that with both filter changes. If I burn my arm on the cat one more time...

Old 06-15-2021, 09:56 AM
Winching

This is so odd. When I shift into neutral when slowing I can feel it down shift, not anywhere near as hard as when in drive but I can feel it. What on earth? its in neutral. Thoguhts?

Old 06-22-2021, 08:37 AM
Winching

Could not get it sorted. I will be installing a new (to me) transmission this weekend. Fun for the entire family

Old 06-22-2021, 08:41 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

So you had no issues before the filter change ?

Old 06-22-2021, 09:02 AM
Winching

That is correct. No issues.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

How many miles were on trans and when was last fluid/filter change? Was there a lot of clutch plate material in pan?

Not that strange to have trans issues after a fluid/filter change, especially, if it has been well over a hundred K since the last one. Normally, if l do not know age of fluid and filter and trans is shifting/operating fine in advance...l causion on the side of error...drop fluid, only, refill using proper sequence, drive it for a few weeks, then drop pan and change fluid and filter second time.

Normally, you'd see/feel slippage after a fluid/filter change that was prolonged to the point of trans fluid being the only thing left in the trans that had fiction qualities. With yours, holding in gear longer and banging in between shifts...almost like you got a lot of debris lodged in valve body.

Quick Reply: Post filter change issues on 2003 Discovery