Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Posting pics info requested.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 09:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Posting pics info requested.

Any one see any sighn of coolant leaks I can’t havnt cleaned anything up yet what am I missing started off looking for a misfire on 2 and 7 I’m getting heads planed and valves lapped any way maybe new lifters also

Old 09-17-2019, 09:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Gah, I sure do hate the casting they did with the valley there. I remember the first time I opened it up and thought the motor was somehow destroyed. Shoddy.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Yeah, really don't see any "smoking gun" as far as gasket issues. They certainly were due though. #7 looks pretty carboned up, #1 too. But #2 looks about par with rest of cylinders on that side. Maybe have the injectors tested while a part and check harness over closely for wire damage. Were you loosing anti-freeze?

Brian.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Default I was just a small amount over a period

I’m sure it’s due have the valves lapped seals etc heads skimmed still have stamps on them so not been done before new coil packs yes test every thing fingers crossed.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Generally, when coolant leaks into a cylinder, it will look like it's been steam-cleaned when you take the heads off. I'm also not seeing any sign of combustion leaking between the middle two cylinders, which is where you often see it.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Disco cyl head resto

No I don’t either my go to machine guy looked and said signs of driver side coolant leak from the back of head inside to outside. He told me right away they were like gm heads ( Buick) and of course they are he is skimming faces and lapping valves new seals So another question although had no lifter noise before but as they are accessible now should I remove strip down clean them because I can or leave alone lots of utube vids of guys doing it comments please. Also am I safe to scrub down in belly pan pretty gunky was going to scrape while vacuuming then flush and of course change oil after.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by britguy
No I don’t either my go to machine guy looked and said signs of driver side coolant leak from the back of head inside to outside. He told me right away they were like gm heads ( Buick) and of course they are he is skimming faces and lapping valves new seals So another question although had no lifter noise before but as they are accessible now should I remove strip down clean them because I can or leave alone lots of utube vids of guys doing it comments please. Also am I safe to scrub down in belly pan pretty gunky was going to scrape while vacuuming then flush and of course change oil after.
I would say as long as they're there, give them a cleaning. And yes, you can clean out the oil pan.

It sounds like you've got this engine pretty stripped down, and you're heavily invested in this engine. I would suggest you consider pulling your crank and pistons and redo your crank bearings and piston rings. You don't get many shots at that.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Dont **** Togo that far

I just want todo well o the top end it was a solid runner before all started over a misfire I have a spare disco with two conecting rods gone I’m Going to completely restore that one trans And all give it to my son as his inheritance lol no really I’m good with doing top end I’m only in as much as theexchange is can to us I’m 70 now so it will last me still have my olds rocket 88 to finish and my67 bsa lightning cafe bike.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I would look at lifters to see if they are dished. Make sure they dont have a groove also, means they arent rotating.

Do you drive slow?
Use 87 octane?

Change fuel injectors.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Thanks

I will do that I was using a mix 87and premium before the misfire some on here said if u can’t afford premium gas don’t own a Landy I feel he was right I’ll be running premium from now on. Havnt had the chance to go far as yet plan to though no none in my area services injectors will try testing my self individually don’t want to risk not knowing if that was the problem

Quick Reply: Posting pics info requested.