Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power loss after switch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss after switch?

So I recently removed the self leveling suspension in the rear and put a lift in. Afterwards, if the car sits for a few days, it becomes difficult to start. More than a few days and the truck wont start. After I jump it, the battery and entire charging system all test fine. Any idea's? I have to think it has something to do with the removal of the rear airbags/self-leveling suspension since I didn't have this problem before...

Old 07-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the same problem.
When you remove the SLS you have to have the SLS turned off in the computer or the truck will continue to open and close the valve trying to raise or lower the truck.
After you turn the truck off do you hear clicking form the under the drivers door? The valves and compressor that control the SLS are in a box under the Drivers side on the trucks frame.
Until you have the SLS turned off the truck battery will drain if left sitting over 24hrs.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In front of the fuse box under the hood there are 3 ground points. Remove the ground wire that's on the bottom of the middle ground point. Just tape it up and tuck it away. Make sure to put the one that was on top back though because it's the ground for your fuel pump.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Madlands
In front of the fuse box under the hood there are 3 ground points. Remove the ground wire that's on the bottom of the middle ground point. Just tape it up and tuck it away. Make sure to put the one that was on top back though because it's the ground for your fuel pump.
I believe I tried this method also when I was having this issue and it didn't work, but I may be wrong. I tried pulling fuses, relays and every other method out there and either a light on the dash came on or the truck started making a warning chime every time I went over 10mph.
The only way I found to fix the problem completely was to have the SLS turned off in the computer. If the above method works for you then great, please report back.

Last edited by Jared9220; 07-04-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, I'll give those a shot

Old 07-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually removed the fuses and relays first and it still drained. It was finally removing the ground along with the fuses and relay that fixed the drain issue. Sorry I forgot to mention that part. I also got the beeping over a certain speed but I just unplugged both height sensors and it stopped. I do however still have the light on my dash showing the bags inflated, but it looks so pretty with the rest of my lights I'm fine with just leaving it.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Madlands
but it looks so pretty with the rest of my lights I'm fine with just leaving it.
Christmas Year Round!

Old 07-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

How many $$$$$$$$$ do they charge to reset the BCU omitting the SLS system?

Old 07-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
How many $$$$$$$$$ do they charge to reset the BCU omitting the SLS system?
I went to British4x4 here in San Antonio and they charged me $45 if I remember correctly. I did have to make an appointment but that actually worked out good because one of the mechanics was waiting on me with a computer when I pulled up. It took him about 20min from start to finish. Be sure to have the mechanics go back and show you that the SLS is in fact turned off. The guy that turned mine off for me forgot to confirm his changes the first time and he almost sent me out of there without my problem fixed. It never hurts to ask them to show you it's actually off.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

One of these days, one of these days.
That stupid look at my rear bumper light will be deleted.
One of these days

Quick Reply: Power loss after switch?