Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Flush

Hi Everybody!

Well I finally got a Disco. Its a 1996 SE with 104k on it. So far its seems in pretty good condition and runs great, just the usual issue of oil leaking form somewhere on the engine. As I do not have any service history with the vehicle I plan to do the recommended 60k / 90K list from DiscoMike. So far I have found information on how to perform all the maintenance, except the power steering flush. In all the searches I just see that it is highly recommended. Could someone please post a quick run through to this forum for all us newbies ;-)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Power Steering Flush

I'll give you Disco Mike's version w/ my twist - recently did this and it works great w/ no mess

1. Get a turkey baster and a couple quarts of valvoline synthetic steering fluid + 1 bottle lucas power steering additive
2. Remove all fluid from the reservoir, fill it up w/ steering fluidand take it for a drive
3. Remove again (this should get you to 99% new fluid), add bottle of lucas and fill the rest w/ steering fluid. You're done.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Drifting

Great that sounds manageable, Thanks!

Old 10-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be doing this soon. I flushed out the fluidin my mercedes not too long ago by disconnecting the return hose to the reservoir and sticking it in a container. Then I emptied the reservoir as much as I could and filled it to the top with newfluid. Have somebody start the engine while you VERY QUICKLY dump more fluid in as the reservoir starts to drain anddump into your container. As soon as you dump about 3 quarts in yell at your assistant to shut the engine off, hook your hose back up and your done.

Obviously this takes a lot of timing and coordination since you do not want to run your pump dry. Seems like it should workon a Roverthough. It's probably overkill in most cases too, but my mercedes is 25 years old and it looked like the fluid had never been changed.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you get the fluid out of the back half of the resevoir with a baster?

Old 10-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: ajh

How do you get the fluid out of the back half of the resevoir with a baster?
Good question, Mine had ACE in the back half of the reservor, does the back half of your circulate like the front, if it does it will get mixed and drained out over a couple of the fluid changes described above.

As for draining the power steering by removing the lines, forget it, it will flow all over the undercarriage and your drive way. Just used the old turkey baister.