Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstroke V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerstroke V6

I understand that LR is now using the V6 version of the Powerstroke in the new LR4. Has anyone given any thought to using one of these as an upgrade? Hint they are being used in the Ford LCF, so they are definitely EPA approved.

Cold weather has hit and my fuel economy has tanked, so I am back to thinking about this kind of conversion.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This horse has been beaten to death, buried, dug back up and beaten again, then fed to a dog and once it comes out of the back end of the dog it is beaten once more.

It will cost you $10,000 to do a diesel conversion, and for a DII the TD5 is the only engine option that is still a Land Rover engine.
You can go with a International TDV6 if you dont want the Land Rover engine.

$10k will buy alot of petrol.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much for one?

Old 11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
how much for one?
I think someone once said it was around $10,000 but it was a while back so don't hold me to it.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Rock Crawling

The intent wasn't to beat a dead horse, I was merely curious if anyone had given any thought about it. Our transmission transfer case and just a better engine. If i have offended the Rover gods please remove this post.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:11 AM
TReK

whats the torque output for the powerstroke? our transmissions might not be able to hold up.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure our transmission will not mate up to it but do not hold me to that.

Spike is right, you can but a lot of fuel for the amount it will cost to do the swap. I have considered it since my work gives me $5K a year for using my own car. With the mileage and cost I could make it out a head after three years (since I still need to pay for gas). The coolness factor is worth something too.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by d2luvr
The intent wasn't to beat a dead horse, I was merely curious if anyone had given any thought about it. Our transmission transfer case and just a better engine. If i have offended the Rover gods please remove this post.
There has been no offense taking by anyone, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

You would need a diesel transmission to mate to your diesel engine because the shift points are different.
The diesel would cruise around 1500 rpm on the expressway while the V8 cruises around 2500 rpm.

The cheapest way to go would be to order a used TD5 and TD5 transmission from the UK.
You would also need the trans computer, the engine computer, the intercooler, fuel lines, fuel pump, exhaust as well as other bits I am not thinking of.
Then once it is all installed it would need to be flat bedded to a dealer to have the "new" ECU and the alarm synced so you could drive it.
Then once all that is said and done where are you going to get air/fuel/oil filters let alone someone to work on it?
Your LR dealer techs wont be trained in the diesel.
You would have to buy your timing belt and filters from the UK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAND-ROVER-OIL-F...item5ad5ff8ea9

http://cgi.ebay.com/Filter-Kit-suit-...item415455b688

This engine here is for a DI.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/landr...Q5fAccessories

I dont mean to be a spoil sport, but lets face it, its a pipe dream.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
TReK

I know all the regular members on here get sick of the diesel conversion topic but it still interest me. I like gaining more diesel knowledge and IMO rover+diesel+manual=perfect vehicle.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Mudding

While I am intrigued by the notion of a diesel, I cannot imagine what set of circumstances would cause me to consider a FORD engine. A TD5 sure. A Cummins, a Isuzu, or Mercedes - OK maybe... But a FORD , just kill me now!