Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstroke V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What everyone always over looks is the fact that you remove our engine, you also have to remove the tranny and t/case because they are all tied together by the ECU's. Most Rover diesel conversions can be done but you need to change the fuel system, buy a EURO tranny ECU rework the tranny for the lower RPM diesels and of course buy an engine.
For a gas engine conversion you are looking at an easy $12,000 plus for an engine, tranny and t/case, then you have to deal with our stock, weak diffs.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elrocha69
I have an 85 BMW 745i turbo running 16psi of boost. on 98 octane fuel it puts about 399hp to the rear wheels and around 496lb/ft torque and the 4hp22 has never let me down.
I know they're good transmission but maybe they're even better than I thought if they can handle those numbers..ok I have to ask, no disrespect to your car...it sounds awesome but why would you want that much power with a slushbox? I'm guessing its your daily driver but it would be a kick *** track car if it had a manual.

Last edited by NiteTrain; 11-30-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats the next plan. It was only offered in an automatic with a 2.91 rear so first gear is good for over 60 mph. the downside is it's a sloth off the line and at about 25mph and 2,700 rpm it wakes up and is off like a rocket. I will have to get a bellhousing and transmission from an e23 6 series or e28 5 series with a clutch from a 94 M5 (the stock clutch will never hold that kind of power. Then I need a 3.46 rear from an e28 M535i or e23 M635csi. I have so many things I want to do and it seems I'll never have the time to do any of them. I am remodeling my house one room at a time, and work on call 24 hrs 7 days on 2 off with one weekend off a month.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Mudding

But it is a beast on the highway. third gear at 70mph is at the same rpm as an e36 M3 in fifth and it pull 100 times harder than the M3. It is loaded too with water buffalo leather, heated seats, memory presets for the driver and passenger seats, power reclining back seats and a seperate radio in the rear arm rest to control the radio up front. It was ahead of its time even 10 years after it was made. ABS on board computer with all the bells and whistles. I love it and it was never offered in the U.S. so it is a grey market car and all of the controls are in German. Now If only I had a TD5 in My disco I'd be super happy.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by elrocha69
But it is a beast on the highway. third gear at 70mph is at the same rpm as an e36 M3 in fifth and it pull 100 times harder than the M3. It is loaded too with water buffalo leather, heated seats, memory presets for the driver and passenger seats, power reclining back seats and a seperate radio in the rear arm rest to control the radio up front. It was ahead of its time even 10 years after it was made. ABS on board computer with all the bells and whistles. I love it and it was never offered in the U.S. so it is a grey market car and all of the controls are in German. Now If only I had a TD5 in My disco I'd be super happy.
Not sure why you're comparing a heavy 4 door sedan to a little 2 door coupe? Same mods to the M3 would make it pull "100 times harder" as well. Actually more like 200 times harder, considering the 7 weighs as much as my disco - k I kid, but it's probably got 800lbs on the E36.

The 7's tranny was also designed for highway cruising and has a lockup whereas the M3's tranny is close-ratio without a significant overdrive; made for the track/twisties and for a higher-rpm powerband. 5th gear in that car was VERY annoying on the highway, not a good comparison.

That's a nice car you have, but trying to take something away from an icon like the M3 with a 25 year old sedan is just.. odd.

edit: For the record, putting ~500lb-ft of torque through a RWD car (aka your weakest link is essentially traction, which provides a way "out" for excessive forces) versus a 4500lb full-time AWD vehicle is very different. Short pulls at your numbers for the 7 series is one thing, but there's simply no way that tranny would be able to dish out the torque of that powerstroke for sustained pulls (like towing or off-roading) especially with an AWD drivetrain. If I had a motor like that, I'd want a healthy tow rating! Besides, what good is it having a beast bomb-proof diesel engine in my truck if I'm too afraid to punch it because I'm worried my tranny might blow?

Last edited by EstorilM; 12-01-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Mudding
Cool

Originally Posted by EstorilM
Not sure why you're comparing a heavy 4 door sedan to a little 2 door coupe? Same mods to the M3 would make it pull "100 times harder" as well. Actually more like 200 times harder, considering the 7 weighs as much as my disco - k I kid, but it's probably got 800lbs on the E36.

The 7's tranny was also designed for highway cruising and has a lockup whereas the M3's tranny is close-ratio without a significant overdrive; made for the track/twisties and for a higher-rpm powerband. 5th gear in that car was VERY annoying on the highway, not a good comparison.

That's a nice car you have, but trying to take something away from an icon like the M3 with a 25 year old sedan is just.. odd.

edit: For the record, putting ~500lb-ft of torque through a RWD car (aka your weakest link is essentially traction, which provides a way "out" for excessive forces) versus a 4500lb full-time AWD vehicle is very different. Short pulls at your numbers for the 7 series is one thing, but there's simply no way that tranny would be able to dish out the torque of that powerstroke for sustained pulls (like towing or off-roading) especially with an AWD drivetrain. If I had a motor like that, I'd want a healthy tow rating! Besides, what good is it having a beast bomb-proof diesel engine in my truck if I'm too afraid to punch it because I'm worried my tranny might blow?
Whoa there, I'd never try to take anything from an icon. I was merely comparing because at 70 mph my 745 in 3rd gear is at the same rpm as the M3 is in 5th. It was only to demonstrate the torque. Also, I don't think a diesel would hurt the disco unle4ss you are full throttle all of the time, even when towing. Even though the diesel makes so much torque, the trans should hold unless it is extreme use with full power all of the time. I have, on numerous occasions run the 745i 0-100+ (I was younger and stupider back then). I am a BMW nut and would never discredit an icon like the e36 M3. Thats almost as bad as discrediting the e30 M3. I think my message was slightly misunderstood. Never the less, you make great points in your post and I enjoyed reading it. Happy Land Rovering

Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I have read (a LOT) the ZF is rated for 400lbft of torque, the same rating Chebby's famous TH400 is rated for stock. As the guys on here always say it is bullet proof minus abuse.