Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium gasoline and ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Premium gasoline and ethanol

I have always used premium, and most of the time Shell, but many times I have to fill in other gas stations and I just look for premium. Now most gas stations here got a sicker that says that gasoline may have as much as 10% ethanol. I got two questions: first, does that apply to regular only or to both regular and premium? Second, would that have any effect on our old LRs?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience with gasoline containing 10% ethanol, and I've seen this at a lot of Shell stations, is that your fuel economy diminishes even further. I try to stay away from it when possible.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

10% ethanol = 10% reduction in MPG.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

There is no getting around this, most states run a winter blend, your mileage will drop, your exhaust will smell different and there is nothing we can do about it, Fed's mandate this for all octanes.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
There is no getting around this, Fed's mandate this for all octanes.
Mike I'm glad somebody finally mentioned this...ALL US gasoline has to contain 10% ethenol. Ask you local station, you can not buy gas without it...doesnt matter if theres a sticker on the pump or not. Its just like Jack Murphy Stadium...whoever pays the price gets to name it..Exxon...Shell...7-11...Chevron, its all made in vertually the same place!

This is also another global problem, instead of sending corn and grains to places like Africa we a squishing it into our gas tanks.

While it is true that the corn and grains are not "food" quality (in the US), and aside from all the acerage now used to grow "gas" ....do you really think somebody in Rwanda would care?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Very good point!!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Night Train, So does that mean that the gas stations around here that advertise no ethanol gas are either lying or breaking the law?

Old 05-05-2009, 03:10 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is also another global problem, instead of sending corn and grains to places like Africa we a squishing it into our gas tanks.

While it is true that the corn and grains are not "food" quality (in the US), and aside from all the acerage now used to grow "gas" ....do you really think somebody in Rwanda would care?

Yesssssss. Another great point I could argue with someone about!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We grow enough corn for our food, feed and fuel.
The 10% ethanol is a emissions thing, it burns cleaner than gas thus pollutes less, it also prevents gas line freezing in really cold weather.
When you buy a bottle of gas line anti freeze all you are buying is alcohol.
We can send all the food we want to Rawanda, but if their government wont give it to the people or let us give it to them then it does them no good.
It is not uncommon for food and other supplies to sit on the cargo ships or on the docks until it spoils.
What the people need is the education and tools to grow their own food and not be reliant on others to provide it for them.
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life. (mmm, who said that before?)
Knowledge is power!!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see,

I dont know

Someone else that does not believe there are people in the world right now (year 2 wait must use new language to sound better) (year two thousand AND nine) that are actually eating DIRT mixed with anything they can find to try to stay alive

No we dont

Only in an engine that costs $250.000

Here we just hand them free money and food every month - and amazingly enough someone that enters this country illegally can get more than someone that just got laid off!

Oops - we are supposed to call them undocumented workers because it sounds better, OK then I guess drug dealers are just unlicensed pharmacists - my bad!

Quick Reply: Premium gasoline and ethanol