Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressurized Cooling System Considerations

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default Pressurized Cooling System Considerations

Latest Blog Post is up: https://extinctmotorsports.com/the-e...onsiderations/

The following 6 users liked this post by Extinct:
ahab (03-28-2024), andino (03-27-2024), jastutte (03-29-2024), JohnZo (03-27-2024), mackendw (03-30-2024), Richard Gallant (03-27-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-27-2024, 11:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Thank you for taking the time and energy to document all of this, it definitely looks like a labor of love/frustration over many many years and trials!

I have your inline kit and also have been running with the "loose" cap as I've seen you mention.

As the new owner of a 23 year old vehicle I have experienced similar (although 1 disco to your 20 and 6 months to your years haha) of failing hose ends, clamps, and temp concerns. But all seems quiet so far after repairs, new inline and cap.

Really looking forward to what you cook up next! Especially if it's an improved expansion bottle 🧐

​​​​​​

Old 03-27-2024, 12:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Roont
Thank you for taking the time and energy to document all of this, it definitely looks like a labor of love/frustration over many many years and trials!

I have your inline kit and also have been running with the "loose" cap as I've seen you mention.

As the new owner of a 23 year old vehicle I have experienced similar (although 1 disco to your 20 and 6 months to your years haha) of failing hose ends, clamps, and temp concerns. But all seems quiet so far after repairs, new inline and cap.

Really looking forward to what you cook up next! Especially if it's an improved expansion bottle 🧐

​​​​​​
Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked it. And I do have an expansion bottle kit in the works unlike anything else on the market, it will blow you away with the features! It is next on the development list (2 developed in the queue ahead of it I need to get launched/videos/product page/etc done for).

The following users liked this post:
Disco Dad (03-29-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts

Tim,

Thanks for the write-up. Great info.

There was one thing on my mind for a few years regarding the psi of the cooling system. It arose when the local LR shop replaced my Disco with a Turner engine. It came with an Allisport aluminum tank. The cap read 16 psi. was wondering back then if it was okay in the long term to run with the new 16 psi cap.

I recollect reading somewhere in the past about the original factory system designed for 20 psi, but have no been able to find definitive info in the Rave manual or elsewhere. Your article now confirmed it.

Fast forward a few years, the Turner engine with the Allisport tank.... as well as your inline thermostat and Hayden 2991 severe duty fan clutch combo has been running great. Still wondering if I should loosen the cap a slight turn?

Last edited by acg; 03-27-2024 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by acg
Tim,

Thanks for the write-up. Great info.

There was one thing on my mind for a few years regarding the psi of the cooling system. It arose when the local LR shop replaced my Disco with a Turner engine. It came with an Allisport aluminum tank. The cap read 16 psi. was wondering back then if it was okay in the long term to run with the new 16 psi cap.

I recollect reading somewhere in the past about the original factory system designed for 20 psi, but have no been able to find definitive info in the Rave manual or elsewhere. Your article now confirmed it.

Fast forward a few years, the Turner engine with the Allisport tank.... as well as your inline thermostat and Hayden 2991 severe duty fan clutch combo has been running great. Still wondering if I should loosen the cap a slight turn?
I don't have the allisport tank but my understanding is they have the traditional domestic 1/2 style caps with three positions - 1. removal 2. vented 3. Sealed. I run everything I have in the vented position because I don't like cracking tanks, hoses, wyes, radiators, etc. The blog post was meant to give folks the information to make their own decisions but based on my usage, elevation, and equipment I have not had any detrimental effects from running unpressurized.

Richard Gallant (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:30 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
I don't have the allisport tank but my understanding is they have the traditional domestic 1/2 style caps with three positions - 1. removal 2. vented 3. Sealed. I run everything I have in the vented position because I don't like cracking tanks, hoses, wyes, radiators, etc. The blog post was meant to give folks the information to make their own decisions but based on my usage, elevation, and equipment I have not had any detrimental effects from running unpressurized.
Thanks for chiming in. You provide great service and products to our community.

The following 2 users liked this post by acg:
jastutte (03-29-2024), Richard Gallant (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked it. And I do have an expansion bottle kit in the works unlike anything else on the market, it will blow you away with the features! It is next on the development list (2 developed in the queue ahead of it I need to get launched/videos/product page/etc done for).
Excellent news! Any chance it has provisions for a level sensor?

Thank for all you do for the community, it's a far better place with your efforts.

Roont (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 02:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ahab

Thank for all you do for the community, it's a far better place with your efforts.
Maaayyyyybbbbeeee.....

ahab (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 07:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab

A level sensor with a super loud chime!! 🤣

Old 03-29-2024, 09:02 AM
Mudding
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Good read. I don't have the depth of experience with my Disco yet to have war stories to share. But I do have a Suburban with an all aluminum V8 and many of the war stories from that vehicle are reflected in your blog post. About three years ago I lost coolant while towing water to the cabin. Luckily it went right as we pulled up to the cabin, but the issue was a plastic radiator end tank that had cracked under the increased pressure. Great aftermarket support in that platform allowed me to source a much higher cooling capacity radiator and now that car rarely gets up near the "factory" operating temp, hanging out usually in the 185-190 range.

Thanks for the write-up!

Quick Reply: Pressurized Cooling System Considerations