Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventative maintenance for head gasket leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preventative maintenance for head gasket leak?

All...I have 55K on my Rover. I have zero leaks of oil or coolant.

I noticed an advertisement on this website- "Steel Seal". I would like everyone's opinion on using it as preventative maintenance. Since I recently changed my coolant and knowing the dreaded problem of leaking head gaskets, I thought I would give it a go to prevent a head gasket leak.

Here is a video of Scotty Kilmer promoting its use as a preventative measure to NOT get a head gasket leak: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6YF-3zMBqY

I'm just curious what everyone thinks. It cost about $90 a bottle which seems to me a deal compared to $1,500.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would not do it, just change your coolant every 2 years, DO NOT use DexCool and start saving for the head gasket job that you may or may not need.
http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you buy a $90 additive for a problem you don't have you deserve to have your engine blow up, just my $.02. Stay away from those tornados and fuel magnets also...

I kid, I kid. Flush your coolant regularly like spike said and never ever let your truck overheat and your head gaskets will last as long as your engine. These trucks are very reliable once you get the maintenance under control (not to mention all the repairs caused by poor maintenance).

Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
I would not do it, just change your coolant every 2 years, DO NOT use DexCool and start saving for the head gasket job that you may or may not need.
http://sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm
Hey Spike...I'm using PEAK Global™ LifeTime™ 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze & Coolant because of the known dex-cool problem...are their any other reasons why a head gasket would fail?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Team Owner

Head gaskets would fail from several reasons.
Using the wrong grade of gas, regular gas runs hotter then premium, more heat means shorter gasket life.
Acids eating away at them, you are using a good coolant, but how long was the old stuff in there before you changed it and was it ever changed before you got the truck?
That is what we call a known un-known.
The other reason is just bad gasket material.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lipadj46
If you buy a $90 additive for a problem you don't have you deserve to have your engine blow up, just my $.02. Stay away from those tornados and fuel magnets also...

I kid, I kid. Flush your coolant regularly like spike said and never ever let your truck overheat and your head gaskets will last as long as your engine. These trucks are very reliable once you get the maintenance under control (not to mention all the repairs caused by poor maintenance).
lipadj46...SH*T...I just put in a full bottle of blinker fluid! Damn advertisements!

My maintenance is under control (Mike's 60K service just done; less Seafoam and tranny additive, only tranny oil change and filter). Magnacores 8mm, Bosch platinum Plus 4s, new thermostat, new serpentine belt (and new pulley and tensioner), new front springs (both sides; back springs and shocks all around next year) as well. "Da Rover" actually runs very smooth.

I'm just looking forward on the head gasket. I've decided this truck goes to my 8-year old when he turns 16 and I want it to last well past 200,000 miles.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Team Owner

Open a Money Market Account with your Edward Jones guy and throw $10 per week into it.
Before you know it you will have enough to have the head gaskets replaced IF they need it.
With a MMA you can withdraw from it with no penalties twice? a year.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
Head gaskets would fail from several reasons.
Using the wrong grade of gas, regular gas runs hotter then premium, more heat means shorter gasket life.
Acids eating away at them, you are using a good coolant, but how long was the old stuff in there before you changed it and was it ever changed before you got the truck?
That is what we call a known un-known.
The other reason is just bad gasket material.
I only put in 92 octane, always...the only records I have is the 36K maintenance done at the stealer by the previous owner. They put in dex-cool of course, BUT that maintenance was done in 2004. I bought the truck a year ago at 48K. So I'm ok on miles, but the time between coolant changes was 4 years.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:07 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
I'm just looking forward on the head gasket. I've decided this truck goes to my 8-year old when he turns 16 and I want it to last well past 200,000 miles.
Just keep up on the maintenance and if the head gaskets do go then you have a good "father/son" 2 weekend project. Nothing else you can do besides making sure you fix every leak and never let it overheat.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Just keep up on the maintenance and if the head gaskets do go then you have a good "father/son" 2 weekend project. Nothing else you can do besides making sure you fix every leak and never let it overheat.
Yea...you are right...I need to save my money anyway

Quick Reply: Preventative maintenance for head gasket leak?