Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with my heated seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with my heated seats

I have a Disco II and I think it is an S model. Got it used and it did not have the heated seats. They are leather. I read on here about adding the heated seat kit from Atlantc British, so I ordered it. Installed the switches yesterday. The lights on the switches come on, but the seats never heat up. I looked on the back side on the seats and there is a wire loom coming out and connecting into a connector under the seat. I assume that is the wire loom for the heating elements. I also noticed three fuses in a fuse block under the seat in the front. It looks like the fuse block has a fourth spot that does not have a fuse installed.

If the switch lights up, is that proof the fuse is good and the heating elements are getting power? Not sure where to go next with my troubleshooting. I went on a 30 minute drive with the seat heater turned on the whole time, and never felt any heat from them. Any suggestion and where to go next? It is hard to imagine that the heating elements are bad in both seats, so I figure I am missing something stupid. TIA...

Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Problem with my heated seats

I dont know how the elelments could be bad if they have never been used before.
Are there relays under the seat? There are supposed to be.
If the switched light up they have power but the seats may not.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Mudding

Ok, so what are the fuses under the seat and how many should there be? Where in line would the power relay be located?

Is the wire plenum I see going into the seats for the heating elements or could it be for the lumbar airbags?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All good questions, and I have no answers, sorry.
All I know is that there are relays under the seats.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The heating elements have a tendency to break on the side of the seat closest to the driver door. The getting in and out of the vehicle causes them to break over time. Did you check the passenger seat to see if it is working? You can pull the cover off the bottom of the seat and see if the element is broken. There is a mesh like substance that holds the shape of the heating element and there will be a burn mark where the break is. You can also check continuity at the connector under the seat to see if the element is broken. If the element is good you'll have continuity.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Mudding

Both seats are non-op, so that is why I figured they were probably not broken, but it is possible. I can look at the elements. How much of a PIA is getting the seat cover off?

How do a check continuity at the connector? Is that simply checking it with a test light? If so, what wire amI looking for? There were several.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:19 PM
TReK

If both seats don't work then I would assume that the fuse is missing. Last time I pulled a seat cover off and fixed an element it was in my Saab and it was a major PIA. But totally worth it once winter in Alaska set in.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: avking

Both seats are non-op, so that is why I figured they were probably not broken, but it is possible. I can look at the elements. How much of a PIA is getting the seat cover off?

How do a check continuity at the connector? Is that simply checking it with a test light? If so, what wire amI looking for? There were several.
You would use an ohmmeter to check continuity(a closed circuit).

Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Is it possible you put the switches in wrong? they are marked left and right (by part number) - try switching them from where they are now and see what happens - I put AB switch set in mine and it works fine but I remember the instructions point out one switch is right the other left and the wiring harness connectors in the vehicle are also right and left

Robert

Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 PM
TReK

Check out this thread. It explains what to look for under the seat to tell if you have the elements for heated seats or not.

https://landroverforums.com/m_48948/tm.htm

Thank you meltdowndave for doing the research and finding this thread. Heated seats seem to be a common question right now. Must be winter or something.

Quick Reply: Problem with my heated seats