Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with dome lights & one turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with dome lights & one turn signal

Here are two electrical/lighting problems I'm running into on my 1999 Discovery Series II:

[Turn Signal] I noticed that my front passenger side turn signal wasn't working and the dashboard indicator blinks rapidly when I turn it on (but only when I turn on the right side). Both the side indicator and rear turn signals work just fine. I popped the light assembly out to replace the bulb, and noticed that it had a ton of water inside of it due to a hole in the lens that I hadn't seen before. When I inspected the bulb, I noticed that the filament appeared intact, but there was a slight bit of corrosion around the base. There was also some corrosion inside the connector where the bulb is installed.

I emptied out the water from the light assembly, dried it out thoroughly, and cleaned and dried the connector for the bulb. The next day, I replaced the bulb with a new one, but I'm still having the same problem. I'm planning to replace the lens assembly so I won't have a water problem in the future, but I want to make sure to get any other parts which might be causing the problem.

My first thought was a blown fuse, but I checked the fuses that seemed to be related to the turn signals or hazard lights, and they all appear to be fine. Also, the fact that the other turn signal indicators on that same side are working makes me think it's not a fuse. Could I have shorted something out that would only have affected that one turn signal indicator? If so, what components should I be looking to test and/or replace?

[Dome Lights] Shortly after the turn signal problem (but not at the same time, as I seem to remember), my dome lights stopped working. They don't turn on when I open any of the doors or the rear hatch. They don't turn on when I turn the switch to the "ON" position. They're completely unresponsive. The dash and gauge cluster lights work just fine. I looked for a blown fuse, but didn't see one in either fuse box that appeared to be specifically dedicated to the dome lights. Is there a fuse I might have missed? Could this problem be related to my turn signal issue? I'm not very good at diagnosing electrical issues, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:05 AM
4wd Low

An update...

I went to turn on my windshield wipers this morning, and they're acting up now, too. Regardless of what position I turned the controls to, the wipers would only move about half an inch back and forth, and that's it. I also noticed that when I turned the controls to the off position, they continued moving back and forth for awhile.

The windshield washers spray normally. The rear wiper works just fine.

I'm concerned that electrical gremlins are starting to take over my vehicle and whatever started with the turn signal is starting to spread. Does ANYONE have an idea of what I should be looking at? From an electrical standpoint, is there anything that these components have in common that I could test? I really want to try and fix this now before I get to a point where I can't drive the thing because something critical stops working.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i would say you may have some bad grounds. check the battery connections by pulling them off and cleaning them up. then by the battery on the inside of the passengers wing is a set of grounding connections, do the same remove and clean.
I have a 99 DII and am chasing down some funky electrical stuff too. Let me know if any of that helps
Dave

Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM
4wd Low

Just registered onto these boards, but I am having the EXACT same problem as you jussnb.

Right front blinker bulb was out, causing it to blink rapidly on the dash. It was filled with water... got it drained out, replaced bulb, and it was working fine again. I think it was around the same time when I lost the dome lights indoors. Recently got my oil changed at a Midas, and they told me that they were not getting any voltage readout from the overhead dome lights - and that my lights there were good. They checked the fuses but could not find anything wrong.

Appears thats the only electrical problem now though. Maybe my mind is just messing with me, but it seems like my Radio Display and Clock Number Display are brighter when my headlights are OFF rather than when they are ON. Shouldn't it be reversed? Gremlins indeed...

Old 11-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about the rest of your problem, but this...

Originally Posted by Miwo
...Maybe my mind is just messing with me, but it seems like my Radio Display and Clock Number Display are brighter when my headlights are OFF rather than when they are ON. Shouldn't it be reversed? Gremlins indeed...
...makes sense. The lights in the clock and radio should be brighter during the day to make it easier to see the dark numbers in the daylight. By being brighter it increases contrast b/c the backlight would otherwise look dimmer than it does at night when everything around you is brightly lit.

I've noticed this in the last 2 or 3 vehicles I've owned, so this isn't a Rover thing or unusual.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM
4wd Low

Yeah, you are probably right. I'm most likely overreacting / just being paranoid of electrical problems because my dome lights are not working correctly :\

Old 08-13-2013, 09:19 PM
8th Gear

I have a 2001 Discovery. The rear dome light doesn't work. I have changed the bulb.
Is there a way to check further before buying a new unit?