Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Discovery 2, need help with transfer case shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016 | 02:39 PM
|
Overlanding
Default Project Discovery 2, need help with transfer case shifting

Hello,

I have a project D2 1999 that i bought non-running. the engine is out getting top hatted liners.

In the mean while i thought i would install a CDL lever from a D1 everything fit great, and the diff locks and unlocks very smoothly. I tested it by lifting all the wheels in the air. I bought the full kit with the shifter mechanism, HI-LO shifter box (the long one on six bolts with the breather hose on it) and TCU computer.

My trouble is, i cant shift the H-N-L shifter at all. I have removed the interlock cylinder and no difference. I can push the lever forward and it just pushes a little spring loaded pin sensor, but i cant pull it back to neutral or Hi.

Any ideas?

Does there need to be a running engine in the car?

Thank You

Old 03-06-2016 | 02:44 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by LandRoveris
Hello,

I have a project D2 1999 that i bought non-running. the engine is out getting top hatted liners.

In the mean while i thought i would install a CDL lever from a D1 everything fit great, and the diff locks and unlocks very smoothly. I tested it by lifting all the wheels in the air. I bought the full kit with the shifter mechanism, HI-LO shifter box (the long one on six bolts with the breather hose on it) and TCU computer.

My trouble is, i cant shift the H-N-L shifter at all. I have removed the interlock cylinder and no difference. I can push the lever forward and it just pushes a little spring loaded pin sensor, but i cant pull it back to neutral or Hi.

Any ideas?

Does there need to be a running engine in the car?

Thank You
The engine doesn't need to be running but it does need to be in neutral. Is yours?

No that's wrong. I just checked mine. It would not shift out of neutral without the engine on and the gear shift in neutral.

Old 03-06-2016 | 08:52 PM
Pro Wrench

Unless all moving parts in the transfer box are lined-up just so, the selector sleeve will not be able to engage on the hub. Without a rolling chassis, I suppose you would need to remove the bottom cover plate and rotate intermediate gears manually while simultaneously moving the selector shaft. If that doesn't work then most likely the detent ball and spring are seized from lack of use and moisture. Start at page 526 of RAVE workshop manual. The issue that you propose is why LR instructs to have the vehicle rolling slightly in neutral while shifting between low and high.

Old 03-07-2016 | 10:07 AM
|
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
The engine doesn't need to be running but it does need to be in neutral. Is yours?

No that's wrong. I just checked mine. It would not shift out of neutral without the engine on and the gear shift in neutral.

Thank you very much for trying. Can you please also see what happens if you put the transfer case in low, then shut off the engine and try to shift into neutral or hi? Then again the interlock might fight this...

My automatic was in neutral when i tried. I also tried in park with no luck.

Old 03-07-2016 | 10:08 AM
Camel Trophy

Thank you very much for trying. Can you please also see what happens if you put the transfer case in low, then shut off the engine and try to shift into neutral or hi? Then again the interlock might fight this...

My automatic was in neutral when i tried. I also tried in park with no luck.
I did. I could shift to neutral from hi or low with the engine off but not out of neutral. I guess this makes good sense form the standpoint of a tow... If the engine wouldn't start I could get out of AWD for the tow... Anyway, that might not have been the intention but it is good to know. When I have been towed I put both the transfer case and transmission in neutral.

I hate being towed. Shameful.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-07-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2016 | 10:10 AM
|
Overlanding

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Unless all moving parts in the transfer box are lined-up just so, the selector sleeve will not be able to engage on the hub. Without a rolling chassis, I suppose you would need to remove the bottom cover plate and rotate intermediate gears manually while simultaneously moving the selector shaft. If that doesn't work then most likely the detent ball and spring are seized from lack of use and moisture. Start at page 526 of RAVE workshop manual. The issue that you propose is why LR instructs to have the vehicle rolling slightly in neutral while shifting between low and high.
Thank you very much for the reply. Makes sense about the parts being aligned. I will take off tbe cover and give it a shot next week. I need to change the gear oil anyway.

On the lever ****, how much movement should there be from low to neutral to high? Something like an inch between each?

Old 03-07-2016 | 10:15 AM
|
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I did. I could shift to neutral from hi or low with the engine off but not out of neutral. I guess this makes good sense form the standpoint of a tow... If the engine wouldn't start I could get out of AWD for the tow... Anyway, that might not have been the intention but it is good to know. When I have been towed I put both the transfer case and transmission in neutral.

I hate being towed. Shameful.
Oh ok thank you. My issue seems to be that i cant shift it out if low which sounds different fron your case. I will try and take off the cover to spin the gears by hand. I just really dont want to put my center console back togeter before im sure it works.

Old 03-07-2016 | 12:25 PM
|
Overlanding

Thank you very much for the reply. Makes sense about the parts being aligned. I will take off tbe cover and give it a shot next week. I need to change the gear oil anyway.

On the lever ****, how much movement should there be from low to neutral to high? Something like an inch between each?

In follow up to previous reaponse. Could you please provide more detail on tbe ball and detent? I read about it in the manual but theres. Not a picture and i do t really know where to look for it.

Thank you

Old 03-07-2016 | 12:40 PM
Mudding

Similar situation to OP. My shifter wouldn't budge until I got the truck moving, then it shifted just fine.

Old 03-07-2016 | 08:54 PM
|
Overlanding

Hello Everyone. I am currently traveling and cant make any progress on the car, but I realized I may have made a big mistake when installing the hi-lo selector. I put the lever inside the transfer case between the selector rod and the spring loaded sensor. So basically my transfer box is in High, and by pulling back on the lever I was only forcing it "High-er"

Turns out the lever goes in a flat slot machined on the side of the selector rod. I will post my results next week. I don't know what I was thinking......

Last edited by LandRoveris; 03-07-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Project Discovery 2, need help with transfer case shifting