Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puff/compression sound under exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puff/compression sound under exhaust manifold

For starters I have a 2002 discover II with 226k miles. I do oil and filter changes every 3k miles, mobile 10w-30 and K&N filter, along with cleaning my K&N air filter, spark plugs (Bosh 4 Platinums) have about 15k miles on them with magnacore wires same time as plugs. I have not had the head gaskets replaced in the 4 years I have owned it.

Issue: about 2 weeks ago (2 weeks after seafoam induction and what sounded like a valve rattle that went away) I noticed a puffing sound coming from the passenger side of the engine, replaced the exhaust manifold gasket, puffing sound stayed. Used a mirror to see under the exhaust manifold (around #4 cyl) sprayed a mist of carb cleaner and saw the mist being pushed away from the engine. I am not sure if it is due to the head gaskets needing to be replaced or if it is pushing compression out another way.

Unfortunately I am on a tight budget being a college student, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. My dad and I have been working on a CJ7 jeep rebuild and trying to finish it up, so their has come at a very inconvenient time. Thank you in advance for the help

Old 04-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a headgasket. I've seen videos on here showing the sound you are describing. It was the compression ring on the HG that let go. Heard of it a few other times. Sorry to say that. Do a compression test to see if that cylinder is lower than the rest. If it is.. you may very well have your answer.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Overlanding

Thank you zeroone. I'll check the compression here in the next couple of days, we were thinking it was the HG, just wanted another opinion. Will get back with what we find from the tests after we get to it. Also, with the amount of miles on it, should I expect to need to turn back around and prepare for something else that may also be serious, I'm expecting roughly 12-16 hours of labor and about $400-$800 in parts and getting the heads checked after it's torn apart. Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong or if their is more that I should expect.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Winching

I would say closer to $800 for the safe side. If you don't have any other major leaks or noises I wouldn't stress it. The bottom ends on these seem to be pretty stout. Some guys find worn rods, lifters.. but every one of them has been used differently.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Overlanding

I was preparing for the higher cost just in case. I will look into it more, unfortunately it's a decent chunk of change in hopes that nothing else major happens. So this may end up taking a while before it gets started.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Winching

Just remember.. it's land rovers law, Every problem you fix can and will reveal another. Lol

Keep us updated in your progress.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Overlanding

I have noticed that law a few times haha, but I will definitely keep updates as I go. Thanks again

Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

That is probably just the "Y" pipe connection on that side.
Those come loose from thermal expansion / contraction.

If you try to tighten the bolts - they will probably snap.

As the rover is running - you can leave it be probably.
Get a rubber hose and use that to zero in on the sound location.

I had to drill out the studs in the manifold on my D1 and re-tap the threads when I changed the CC

This may give you some help

http://jeffreyfall.com/landrover

Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You also could be developing a crack just under neath where the ypipe connect to the header. It is a very common failure point. Eventually it will crack all the way around. You will know the second it happens, it gets really loud.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Winching

Had that exact problem with the ypipe. Bought a new one because PO butchered the flanges. That was more of a clicking sound though.

Quick Reply: Puff/compression sound under exhaust manifold