Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puff of white smoke following cold start - how bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

First off all cars run rich while cold, a cold engine requires more fuel than a hot one.
There is no choke, it is fuel injected.
Every car puffs white smoke from the exhaust when it is cold outside, this is normal.
Thats why I asked you were you live, you should be familiar with that already.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I hope I'm not just being really paranoid. It's just that after reading this forum for a couple of weeks I'm seriously expecting a disaster every step of the way.

I probably am destroying all credibility I may have by admitting this, but on my way back from Seattle I kept checking to make sure there are no warning lights. At one point I look down and spot a indicator that made my mind race for a couple of seconds. What could it mean??? Faulty circuit/system? Electrical? Cooling?

It was the "Drive" indicator...

I really hope I'm just being a fool, and everything is alright. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

In the meantime, is valium still prescribed?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Three Wheeling

I bet if you look around you will find that every car in the state of Washington produces this same puff of steam/ condensation just like you breathing.......unlike you ....the exhaust heats up very quickly and the the heat removes all water that has condensed in and on the exhaust system ....this sort of thing should go away fairly quickly....

All cars also run a bit rough when cold starting in the winter .....

I don't know where you got the car.....but trust no one...make sure your coolant is the right mixture for your areas temp test it yourself , Also I would make sure I had 5w30 or 5w40 engine oil .....makes it easier for for the engine to get lubricated but ultimately once the systems warmed up the vacuum starts to work properly as the exhaust warms up much like the smoke going up a chimney....i guess.....cold fireplaces are harder to light...and cold chimneys are slow to maintain constant draft........

I think if these things go away together and you have no other problems like vanishing fluids or milky /frothy oil ,warning lights....just let yourself smile a minute....

Last edited by Timebus; 01-30-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Overlanding
Default Loosing coolant - no visible leaks

HI:

I asked my question in the wrong vehicle forum...sorry for that...I am new to internet boards like this.

Our (wife drives it) 03 Disco seems to be losing coolant. I have searched this site for possbile causes...but I have a few syptoms that don't seem to fit what I read.

Vehicle has 85k and has had regular service. I run all syn oils in engine and gear boxes. I noticed a week or so back that the heat in the vehicle had become intermittent. Checked the coolant and sure enough it was low. I added a 1/2 gal of 50/50 Dex-cool as that was what was in there already...has heated up fine since. Checked it today...and had to readd the rest of the 1/2 gal. Checked the oil cap/dipstick...no milky residue? Any ideas? No abnormal white smoke or smells that I can detect? Do these things burn coolant...or are we on the front end of a HG job?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Drifting

JC,

You should post that question as a new thread, that way you'll make sure more people see it. I'm very curious what responses you receive.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Overlanding
Default Thanks New2

When I noticed I had posted in the wrong forum...I did repost and got 2 replies...I actually pickedx up a recent thread on topic as I was unsure if I was supposed to start a new one when one was already underway...I am new to this stuff? Both both replies seem to confirm my fear....likely HG. That is going to be a tought choice...we like the vehicle...but I dont want to pour $1200-$1500 into an 03 per se? May be easier to move it down the road to someone with more ability or cash to deal with it...MAKE ME AN OFFER! HAHAHA

Thanks to all who helped us with this!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 AM
Rock Crawling

HG isn't to bad of a job for a weekend. beer and a buddy usually helps

Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 AM
Overlanding
Default Thanks!

Next time your in Maine....call me! I will buy all the beer you want! HAHAHA

I do not have any mechanically inclined buddies left....I have been married for 14 years and have 3 kids...so no more buddies for me...at least not to the degree when I was younger? I am a somewhat limited mechanically...I do fluids,plugs, filters...and that is about it..so I would not likely undertake such a job...without a wing man....I have no wing man.

In any event, me thinks my leak is quite small given the lack of symptoms other than the loss of coolant. I know there are many who will tell me I am nuts...but I am considering some of the HG sealants on the market...I have seem some who say they work great if you follow the instructions precisely...and others who swear it will kill your vehicle....I can't imagine they are all bad or how do these products stay on the market for so many years w/o lawsuits etc? My guess is for the right issue (small leak) and by following the instructions carefully...it may work? At least until I decide on a long term solution.

$60 vs $1200-$1500 makes it a risk that may be worth taking? I am considering the Blue Devil (white label) amongst other products.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Overlanding
Default So far - so good

I am sure the many purists on here will mock me...but that is ok...that is part of what makes these forums both fun and informative. Lets face it, some of us have neither the expertise nor money to always pursue a purists approach to our vehicles. If only.

I used a product called K-Seal (check out their website); more than a few testimonials from Rovah Ownahs (remember...I am from Maine.) I have described my issue in earlier posts, primarily slight coolant loss, no overheating...no leaks...valley pan ok...seems to be a HG?

I am about a week post K-Seal (you leave this product in...just pour into overflow)...and no more coolant loss (I marked it with a pencil as per this forum)...and it is idling better....it wasnt bad before...but it seemed to "bubble" a bit more.

Could it be my leak was so small it didn't show up on pressure testing and wasn't causing overheating? I too am skeptical of mechanics in a bottle..but at the same time...chemistry is pretty advanced these days? Although the K...I am pretty sure stands for Copper. Something about only sealing where it is feed in by air...and only in the part of the engine (gasket area) that gets hot enough to have it seal...thus allowing it to flow in other parts of the engine without clogging.

In any event....its working for me now. I will write back in if something changes. Thanks to all for their help...this forum is awesome!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Overlanding
Default Something changed!

Appears the block has a crack.....I am moving on from Land Rover.....just wanted to post back as promised. Too bad as the interior and body are fine....I am simply not interested in putting more of my money into it. 87k and take her away!

Quick Reply: Puff of white smoke following cold start - how bad?