Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quarter Panel and Alpine Glass Window Seals for 2003 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quarter Panel and Alpine Glass Window Seals for 2003 Disco II

Hi All:

The window seals on my quarter panel windows and alpine glass are drying out. I have a 2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE. I find seals listed for the Disco 1 but nothing for a Disco II, nor any youtube videos that explain the process of swapping out old seals for new ones. Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Mark

Old 04-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tagging in on this as I have the same issue. Was just looking at mine yesterday. No Bueno.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

For alpine glass, use masking tape to do a nice outline where outer groove is, and similar thing on edge of glass, all around ,, then use a high quality black silicone and lay a nice heavy layer on top of existing seal... Then smooth it out with a small rubber edge, make it nice and even before gets too hard, pill of the tape's , it will look better than the seal and since its silicone , will last forever and will never leak,, It can be done for side glass also but U have to cut extra cracked rubber and do a very even and uniform layer to make it look perfect.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice using silicone. I may consider it as a last resort. Really though, is it not possible to buy OEM seals for the 03-04 windows described earlier (quarter panels and alpine)?

I have Rovers North up here in Vermont. I'll call them tomorrow. I had an email request into their sales team but no response. Will let you know what I find out.

Mark

Old 04-15-2015, 08:22 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Is there a gasket on a d2? don't think so

Last edited by drowssap; 04-15-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

There is no seal on the DII, that glass is installed using windshield adhesive.

Only the rear door glass is held in with a seal.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
For alpine glass, use masking tape to do a nice outline where outer groove is, and similar thing on edge of glass, all around ,, then use a high quality black silicone and lay a nice heavy layer on top of existing seal... Then smooth it out with a small rubber edge, make it nice and even before gets too hard, pill of the tape's , it will look better than the seal and since its silicone , will last forever and will never leak,, It can be done for side glass also but U have to cut extra cracked rubber and do a very even and uniform layer to make it look perfect.
Also use 50/50% washing up liquid and water to smooth the silicon mastic then it doesn't stick and doesn't drag. A quarter pint mix is more than ample.

PS I always use marine or auto grade silicon mastic as it withstands heat, salt water and corrosives.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

That's excellant suggestion FRANCE, I will try it next time I am doing silicone, (I used to spit on silicone to make it smooth!haha) but your way is much more sanitary and professional.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a product called Sikaflex, this is pretty much the best (personal opinion) glass adhesive. Is not cheap but from my experience an excellent product and you can use it like a tube of silicone, the only problem is that stuff is nasty if you mess up and almost impossible to clean up. It is used to glue glass in buses, trucks, boats and airplanes and my experience have been very good if you follow their simple instructions, most body shops and boater supply store carry it

Old 07-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dos anybody successfully fix their seals? Want to tackle this in a few days.

Quick Reply: Quarter Panel and Alpine Glass Window Seals for 2003 Disco II