Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about erasing codes and state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Question about erasing codes and state inspection

Looking to temporarily erase my check engine codes so I can get my Disco inspected this week. Called autozone and although they will not erase the codes they did say that when you erase the codes, that they will still be in the system and the inspection computer can still detect them and fail you. Is this true for our rovers?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure how it works where you're at, but here in Nevada, if you clear your codes and then drive at least like 100 miles or so, you should be fine. I had an 02 sensor code, but I cleared it, and then took it to get it smogged (tested) before the light came back on. I had to drive it for a bit so I wouldn't get a "System Not Ready", but I passed just fine. On the way home from getting it smogged, the light came on I replaced the sensor that weekend...

Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes, 50 miles is the general rule of thumb for the monitors to revert to normal.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Racer X
Yes, 50 miles is the general rule of thumb for the monitors to revert to normal.
I have not actually fixed the problem that triggered the codes. Cant afford it right this moment and Im more concerned with finishing up my brakes. Codes are: P1590, P1171 and P1174 I already know what the codes are just dont know the specific problem thats causing them. But Im just trying to post pone them long enough to get a inspection sticker and get them fixed later. My concern is that If i drive to much (say 50 miles) then the codes will pop back on again before I get the sticker on.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Why not just unplug your battery for a while outside the inspection station?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:08 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Why not just unplug your battery for a while outside the inspection station?

Would that actually work? Autozone mentioned it and said the on board computer would still store the codes. Ive never done it before and perhaps it depends on how sophisticated the vehicle is.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Clears the codes in my Volvo, who knows. If it's long enough it may be fine.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need to worry about the 1590. That will not cause you to fail inspection. The other two will though. I believe they are 02 sensor codes. You might have to get them replaced before you can pass inspection. Unless you get lucky like me and can clear the codes, drive 50 miles without the light coming on, and passing. Either way, 02s aren't that expensive and they are easy to replace, then you should pass no problem and the codes should go away.

I'm not sure the battery thing will work. It might, but I've heard from a number of sources on here that say it's not the best idea because the ECU and BCU can become un-synced or something... but that's just here-say. Do what you will!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Well there are 3 really incorrect replies for you. If the clear the codes for an active fault, they will come back and or show up as a pending code that will fail you.
As for driving it a certain distance to erase the codes, never happen, the computer is smarter then that. As for unhooking the batter, you will erase all the adaptive memories in bot the ECU and the tranny computer which will days before your system will relearn what it needs, OH and that won't clear active codes either. Just info to stop you from wasting a lot of time. Best to fix the problem and ba done with it.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are really that incorrect, then why did one of those replies contain an example of it working specifically on a Rover?

I cleared codes off my BMW 325 by unplugging the battery and let it sit overnight in the parking lot. Although its not a Rover, its still the same concept isnt it?

With that being said, the codes came back, but not before I passed inspection. Whats the worst that'll happen? They fail you and you have to bring it back the next day? Why not give it a whirl, although, if your planning on fixing them anyways, why not just fix them first and save yourself the hassle? Can you get a temp permit?

Last edited by greenharoguy; 02-11-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about erasing codes and state inspection