Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default question about suspension parts

I picked up some used suspension components last week because I could not refuse the price (free) and I like to grab spare parts whenever I can. I was told the vehicle had a lift kit installed and the shop returned the old equipment. basically there are 4 shocks, 4 springs, and a stabilizer (as well as all hardware and bushings). now here is my question the springs are in OME boxes and the 2 boxes are different lengths however 3 of the springs are the same length but one of them is about 2 inches longer, is this normal? or do you think the shop mixed up one of the springs with another vehicles?or maybe something else is going on like 3 are shot?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

they should all be the same length in pairs. The drivers side spring may be a touch taller on the front. They probably threw the old springs in the new boxes. Pretty sure the fronts are longer, but whatever the case, you either have a collapsed or sprung spring.

Do you need new shocks and springs?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

(I am sure mine are plenty past due) but I just grabbed them because they are free. I need a new stabilizer so I thought maybe I would test that one out but if I do use it, it will only be until tax return (unless it is no good). I have been without a vehicle too many times due to waiting for parts to ship, so now if I can get spare parts as backups I do. I just don't want to waste space keeping parts that I know are bad.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i installed my lift, my old springs were- rears same height,shorter than front. front drivers side was 1-2" taller than the passengers side front. If memeory serves me correct.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

yah I have 3 about the same height (visually at least) then 1 is about 2" taller, it actually looks like 1 is from another vehicle, but then the 2 boxes are different sizes, I am just trying to determine if I should save any of them as back ups and if so which ones.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i pulled my factory springs out of mine when i lifted it the drivers front spring was about 1-2" taller than the rest when they were sitting on the ground with no weight on them. The truck still sat level i dont know how but it did. Im guessing it was a different weight spring. I would say try putting them on your truck it only takes about an hour or so to do. If it sits lower than before trash them there no good if it sits higher leave them in there.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Chris, do your self a favor, the springs are warn, the shocks are most likely shot. Save yourself 3 hours of grief and throw them away instead of installing them just to find out they are all crap/free.