Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about 3 amigos

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quick question about 3 amigos

Hi there,

I have a 2003 DII w/ 145,000 miles on it. I just got the 2 amigos and read the sticky. Is this something a not-so-talented novice can tackle or is it time to go see a mechanic? How long would it take to use Josh's Option B? 1 hr? 5 hrs? It looks like, by using his Option B, I also need to bleed the brake system...

I also have the brake light on in addition to 3 amigos! Is that normal?

Thanks

Bob

Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I would say the most important thing is to make sure what is the cause of the Amigos. It may be the SVS, or it may be something else. You and I would be discouraged if you spent time and money on the option B fix, only to find that was not the cause. When I came down with the Amigos, I seriously gambled on the cause based on occurrence, duration, etc. It wasn't until I had the shuttle valve switches out of the modulator, and found they tested bad with a DVOM, that my gamble looked promising. Even then, knowing the SVS was a cause of the Amigos, did not rule out something else additionally.

Either buy, borrow, or rent an ABS Amigo to pull the codes, or gamble.

It took me a several hours, and I would consider myself moderately skilled, although the majority of that time was spent trying to figure out where the heck the Falconworks seals fit into the assembly, and why they supplied four C-clips. That information is in the sticky.

The brake light is probably a separate issue. There have been recent posts about the 4 Amigos (3 with the addition of the brake light), but I don't right off remember a solution posted. You might want to search for that.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

scan before you do anything. i have done two hubs and am yet to do the shuttle valves.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Exactly which 2 lights are currently on? As already mentioned, before you do anything, you must get the codes read to find out which of the 16 possible codes are showing.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Drifting

Thanks for replies guys...

The 4 lights that are on:
Hill Descent
ABS
TC
Red Brake Light (top left corner of the dashboard).

OK! I won't try to be a hero and fix things without knowing what is going on. I assume that the local Autozone or Advance Auto Parts or O'Reily's wouldn't carry ABS code scanner, right?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Right, you need to go to a place that has a scanner that will read the abs codes, dealer or indy shop, or buy one yourself. The ABS Amigo seems to be the most economical alternative. You can also rent or borrow one from some of the guys/gals on this forum. As I recall, one was renting for about $35, oneway shipping included. Check in the classifieds section above. i talke to the guys at Falcon Works. Falcon Works sells the shuttle valve switch, seals and does an electrical fix on the circuit board. The writeup above goes in to some detail. They hadn't done it before, but seemed open to the idea of me sending my abs unit to them, having them do the shuttle valve, seals and electrical fix, and then them sending it back and me reinstalling it and them doing the bleed. That may be an option for you as well. My three amigos come and go, thankfully, they stay south of the border most of the time. Good luck. Phil

Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Thank you Phil. My 3/4 amigos were coming and going intermittently but now they are on all the time (all 4 of them).

Would I be able to pass the emission test with all those lights on?

Thanks

Old 11-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

depending on where you are you should be fine. The check engine light is the problem for emissions. By the way, Falcon Works is located in Tucson, Arizona. Google them and they will pop right up, kind of like the three amigos.....They are very helpful if you have any questions. Phil

Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Phil,
I guess if I want to gamble and get the kit from Falconworks, would it be this one? ABS shuttle valve code solution; brake fluid leaks
They have another one for much cheaper but I guess it is not a complete kit.

Or I can spend $100 on a code reader! Then get the kit from Falconworks!!! The kit is $130. Or I can simply take it to my mechanic and he would be happy to charge me loads of money!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

ABS shuttle valve code solution; brake fluid leaks

That is what you need, plus a two wire trailer connector if you want to do Josh's plan B fix.

Quick Reply: Quick question about 3 amigos