Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Window Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Window Help Needed

What stops the downward travel of the window? Mine has started traveling too far down, causing the regulator gears to fully pass through the motor and then they won't re-engage when I try to raise the window. I have the door apart right now, but I can't tell what is supposed to stop the window on its way down. Driver's front if it makes a difference. Any help?

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you post pictures?

Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Picture your exact truck....minus the CDL, and you have a picture. : )

Just kidding, can't easily post a pic right now, but is there anything specific you're wanting to see?

Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

haha nice...

Umm well here are some pics of mine.

and this one too but after being cut..

I would like to see how it looks like "too far down" like you say. I have never experienced this but i have fixed my rollers and that's all i know.

=(

Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the pics. I too fixed one of my rollers 5 or 6 months back, and luckily it's holding up. But now, when I hit the express down button, the window goes all the down and then keeps trying to go. The regulator kind of bouces back and forth until I hit the window button again. Then, at that point, the teeth on the regulator gear have completely passed through the motor gear and won't re-engage. Make sense?

So I'm wondering what actually stops the window on its way down?

Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Rock Crawling

If I bump it back and forth, it will finally re-engage and take the window up. What tells the express down feature to shut off power to the motor?

Old 07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

I see...

So the door trim is all out and the window regulator is?? if still installed i would play around with it. Try and get the gears in line and the operate the window down until it happens again and see what's happening.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bryan H
If I bump it back and forth, it will finally re-engage and take the window up. What tells the express down feature to shut off power to the motor?
If you bump what? the window switch?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes. If I hit the switch (in express down mode), the window will go all the way down, and then keep trying to go down. The gear on the motor keeps turning, but it's off the end of the regulator gear, so it just kinds of spins and grinds on the end of the regulator gear. Then if I hit the window switch, the express feature is turned off (similar to if you stop the express feature as it is midway down). Then if I hit the switch to take the window up, it won't go. I have to hit the switch up and down a few times to get the motor gear and the regulator gear to re-engage, and then the window will go up.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Rock Crawling

So I'm wondering why out of the blue, the window is going down further than it is supposed to and the express feature isn't automatically shutting off.

Quick Reply: Quick Window Help Needed