Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator coolant leak, weird location, epoxy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator coolant leak, weird location, epoxy?

So I posted two weeks back about this coolant leak I have been chasing, replaced a few hoses, waiting on the throttle body gasket to replace, then tonight found the leak after there were more than just a few drops under the truck when I parked. I took off the plastic around the radiator, cleaned all of the coolat, started it up, and Right on top of the radiator reservoir/tank (don't know if that is the right name, the thin black plastic tank that the hoses run into the top corner of on the right hand side of the truck's radiator) , right in the middle of the flat plastic top, is a hairline crack 2 mm long so small you cannot even see it until the slow puddle of coolant starts seaping out. All novice advice and prelim research online (left my RAVE CD Rom at work) says that I have to replace the entire radiator and cannot just get a side tank, but it is such a small little crack, I was wondering if I could not just test roughing up the plastic with a low grit sandpaper and using a plastic epoxy or some other sealer?

2nd part: If wisdom is that I must dig into my RoverRack / Snow Tire Fund for a boring radiator, is the $399 British atlantic model my best bet?

Thank you in advance for the advice, you guys always deliver...

Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiscoBenjamin
So I posted two weeks back about this coolant leak I have been chasing, replaced a few hoses, waiting on the throttle body gasket to replace, then tonight found the leak after there were more than just a few drops under the truck when I parked. I took off the plastic around the radiator, cleaned all of the coolat, started it up, and Right on top of the radiator reservoir/tank (don't know if that is the right name, the thin black plastic tank that the hoses run into the top corner of on the right hand side of the truck's radiator) , right in the middle of the flat plastic top, is a hairline crack 2 mm long so small you cannot even see it until the slow puddle of coolant starts seaping out. All novice advice and prelim research online (left my RAVE CD Rom at work) says that I have to replace the entire radiator and cannot just get a side tank, but it is such a small little crack, I was wondering if I could not just test roughing up the plastic with a low grit sandpaper and using a plastic epoxy or some other sealer?

2nd part: If wisdom is that I must dig into my RoverRack / Snow Tire Fund for a boring radiator, is the $399 British atlantic model my best bet?

Thank you in advance for the advice, you guys always deliver...
I don't know if epoxy (or JB Weld?) will work...it is under pressure, but I would give it a try, just don't drive far from home when you test and shut off immediately if the temp gauge rises even just a little...I would be scared that additional cracks would appear near the original...but, if you did have to buy a new (to you) radiator, I would buy a $275 dollar one here first: http://www.roverlandparts.com/discovery-radiators.aspx

Let us know...it would suck to dig into your "rover goodie fund"! BTW, you can download the RAVE Manual here and leave your disc at work: http://www.landroverresource.com/

Last edited by mwindth; 11-08-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added RAVE link
Old 11-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Thumbs up

I wouldn't trust an epoxy fix, too much potential damage if it doesn't hold. I recently got mine off of ebay for about $120, shipping included. The seller was out of LA. If there is a wrecking yard in the area, you may also find a used radiator for a good price. Best of luck. Phil