Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator problems/wiring...everything!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:19 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator problems/wiring...everything!

I have a 2001 Discovery II with soo many problems. Got the extended warantee that doesn't cover anything and i need help! And yes i am a girl, really don't know much about cars so bear with me!

First issue is with the wiring...had a friend look at it and basically he told me that my ignition wires (?) or spark plug wires melted together, said it was amazing the thing was still running. So i got new ignition wires and spark plugs (it's a start)to have him replace them, not sure if this is a common problem or what the cause is, let me know if you're familiar with this.

Next, all of the lights on it are messed up. Headlights work fine. The back end is all wrong...none of the tail lights work, the right blinker works in the front and back, but when you put the left blinker on, it onlyworks in the front if you have the fog light button on,but the back left blinker is very faded and also makes the right turn signal go off too?!

Also, have constantradiator, overheating problems. Don't know many people with Discoverys so im just not sure if these are common problems that other owners know the answers to but i figured it was worth a try, if anyone has any suggestions or answers it would be greatly appreciated!!! thank you

Old 10-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radiator problems/wiring...everything!

First of all with the wiring , Check all the bulbs to make sure they're good.Then if that doesnt work you may have to take it to a shop to have the electrical checked out.
Now the overheating, Check the level of fluid in the reservoir, make sure it's at the correct level,Check your radiator hoses and your thermostat. You should get a rave cd for your rover coz it gives you instructions on these problems and how to fix them.How many miles on it?Do you have

service records for it? If so check when the last time it was serviced for anty of these problems.
Also make sure to change the spark plugs along with changing the wires.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The overheating is a major concern. Aluminum engine, and it will not take the heat too well. Does it always overheat? Have you checked your coolant level? Could be a number of things. Do not drive it until you get this fixed because you can drop a sleeve and then your block is toat. Not trying to freak you out, but it is a big concern.

The plug wires will be difficult for your friend to do. Some remove the intake and some don't. If you don't, get ready for lots of patience and scraped knuckles.

The wiring sounds funny. Start by checking all of you fuses and bulbs. If they are all good, try unplugging one tail lamp at a time and checking all of your lights. Narrow it down from there. Might need to have a shop look at it.

How long have you owned it, and how many miles does it have on it?

Old 10-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

With nearly 30 years as a service manager, I can probably walk you thru some of this.
Call me or send me your number and I'll call you.
303-862-7680
Colorado between 7am and 8 pm