Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator screw??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator screw??

ok well all of a sudden I smelled coolant upon arrival at home I opened the hood and the breather screw ( the one that you let air out of when refilling) had broke off and sent a stream of coolent over engine.
Easy fix as the PO had a brand new one in the car anyway upon further inspection I noticed tha the radiator shroud had come loose and been eaten up a bit by the fan not bad.
In tyhe process of fixing I noticed the shown screw had coolant and dryed coolant crystals! small leak? any easy fix? I didn't touch it until I heard from an expert! lol BTW I wiped the area before I took the picture but you can still see some of the coolant.
Thanks for your time and consideration !

Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

That's a common leak for the older radiators. I used RTV to seal mine short term, but at that point, all of the plastic is pretty brittle, especially the small connection that runs back to the reservoir. Radiators are pretty cheap and easy to replace.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

That happened to me, the very first day I got my first disco home. The master rover mechanic I was referred to confirmed & gave me a used radiator.
From what I understand, add this to the list of under engineered faults of the d2. That shroud screw actually cavities into the radiator. The heat from the coolant system turns the plastic in the radiator brittle & will crack under pressure.

Changing your own radiator isn’t the worst job, just takes some patience and some coolant. There are other elements of coolant system to consider servicing while In there doing job.

Cirious us to see if others confirm this- but I believe your looking at new radiator.
Cheers

Old 09-24-2019, 10:24 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

There is one short shroud screw and the rest are long. During service the longer screw is inadvertently used instead of the shorter one, thus puncturing the radiator. I had that happen at a shop and the shop owner fessed up that their tech made that mistake.