Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radiator troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:14 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator troubles

AHHHHHH.... it is always something with this Disco... that is why I love it so much!! Went for a quick trip to the store last night and when i came out there was a big puddle of green stuff (antifreeze) under the vehicle! Luckily i was only 2 miles from home... so when i poke around in the engine bay i found that it is leaking out of the top right side of the radiator (probably the crimp). So i'm debating putting a new one in ASAP, but upon looking at some of the prices! WHOA! $600 +++ ... does anyone have any suggestions for anything a bit cheaper? or know of any cross over parts from other vehicles? my hollander interchange book doesn't go to my year (1996 series I), and i can't find anyone with the updated hollander. thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/596/4048AB8EE36847AEBA51B08AEDCC46E1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: radiator troubles

First of all. you NEVER use the green stuff, unless of course you want to kill your head gaskets sooner then later, always use Dexcool.
As for the radiator, call some of your local radiator shops and get some quotes. I have also heard from people that have purchased radiators on E-Bay and been pleased with them.
In the mean time don't drive it any more so you don't drop a sleve.
Mike

Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm not sure there are a lot of direct-fit aftermarket units out there. Nissens makes inexpensive direct-fit radiators but 1) I'm not sure they make one for the Disco and 2) you get what you pay for.....their units are similar in design to OEM (plastic side tanks) and the crimping is known to be an issue.

MyOEM has a minorcrimp leak. When Iget around to replacing it, if I find that I'm going to be spending $600 not matter what, I'm going to consider cross-fitting a unit from a company calledZionsville Autosport. They make aluminum radiators for BMW's. I have an E39 540 and the radiator size andconfiguration on that car is quite similar the Disco. All aluminum and nicely welded.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/5487/2912C2CAC52A4FBCB5AC0444B6323257.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-24-2007, 07:44 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: bubbling radiator

i removed the land rover discovery 4.0 series radiator and radiator plug today as my 1993 LR county, has been losing water. the coolant was bubbling, not severely but bubbling just the same. the overflow container was not (of which I didn't expect it to). is this a sign of a blown head gasket? to date no water evident in oil.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Drifting
Default RE: bubbling radiator

All,
You can try roverland parts at www.roverlandparts.com

Land Rover Parts
Range Rover, Discovery & Freelander

We would like to offer all our customers an
additional 10% off orders placed online during the month of July.

During checkout, use promo code: RLP9246
Please visit us at:
www.RoverlandParts.com
*Order must be placed online to qualify for discount. 10% discount applies only to parts, not taxes, or shipping charges. Offer expires 7/31 /07. Not valid with any other offers.

[align=center]
Visit us now and get
[/align][align=center]10% off!

Find everything you need.
A/C, Cooling & Heating
Accessories
Air Suspension
Audio
Body & Chassis
Brakes
Drive Train
Electrical
Engine
Exhaust
Fuel
Interior
and much more..
[/align]

Old 07-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about Disco II's, but nowhere in my Disco I manual does it call for Dexcool. Dexcool is also a highly debatable coolant alternative that has had numerous complaints about it http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...m_dexcool.html. I personally don't like it and have seen first hand what it does to gaskets/seals when I worked in the industry. But everyone has their own opinion on this product. As for a good radiator alternative, I went with Arizona Performance Radiator. http://www.performanceradiator.com/index.phpThe design of these radiators is slightlydifferent and decreases the restriction commonly found in rover radiators, the cost is also significantly less $ as well. I have had no problems since and would also recommend the product Wetter Water to keep you down a few more degrees for when your really rompin on it off road.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I have found, LR switched in 96. If you have green, it was flushed and filled with green. I went back and have noticed it cooler. I had a small leak last summer every once in a while I would see a green speck. Nothing this year. I have had good results, but I know the 2 do not mix at all. Before LR switched, they used the yellow stuff...G-05. I flushed my system like 8 times before filling with Dexcool, but I am ****, and after reading bad things about compatibility.....well, you get the idea.

NOTE TO ALL: If you have green and want to switch to orange, flush it well. The 2 do not mix. Mike may want to be a little more specific when telling people to put Dexcool in. ( No offense Mike..) With as tempramental as these things are on overheating and head gaskets, I can see a non mechanical person just going out and topping off with Dexcool. Not good.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of bubbling, is it normal for the power steering reservoir to do that? Also, what's the best way to flush your coolant?

Old 07-27-2007, 02:12 PM
4wd High

Been there..??[&:]... Took a few days to find a shop that knows land rovers...There's really no reason to change the radiator....bcoz...it's already a bigazz.. radiator....If I remember....twas a long time ago... I paid under $400(not bad)........ for the repair and they flushed the whole system and re-checked....and also my head gasket blew a few yrs back..??[]... and now the heater core....not sure if it's an easy fix..like the fitting or the whole thing..needs to be replaced....looked at the parts for the heater core in Atlantic british website...[sm=sigh.gif]

Old 07-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Overlanding

Mike, I think Dexcool only applies to 2000 and up. 99 D1's and older use Green.

Quick Reply: radiator troubles