Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rapid Coolant level drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:13 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rapid Coolant level drop

In light of all the hoses and radiator fluids and thermostat replaced @ the 60K mark, is it also wise to replace the water pump since it's all being exposed anyways?

Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If I'm in an area where the water pump is exposed and easily removed, I'll replace it while I'm in there. However, my experience with water pumps on other cars is that they'll easily go 100K+ if the coolant is replaced and the system properly flushed at regular intervals. Water pumps also tend to start seeping before they go, so if you're keeping an eye on the coolant level at every fillup, you should be able to catch it in plenty of time.

That said, I'll let someone else with morelong termRover experience comment on their experiences with the water pump longevity on these engines.

BTW- the thermostat on the Discovery lives in a plastic housing near the radiator, in-line with the radiator hose. Very easy to get to compared to other vehicles.

Dave

Old 02-02-2008, 12:32 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a little bit of a long story and posibly is a little late to help i know but there is one other thing to consider as a possible cause. I bought a 2000 Disco with 63kfrom a Land Rover Dealer in Pennsylvania thatthey had diagnosed as having slipped liners. It seems that the dealer had first replaced the head gaskets after their initial diagnosis but on completion the engine still leaked coolant into the oil very rapidly. The dealerhad to then tellthe previous owner that this had not fixed the issue and they now believed it to beslipped liners. Thedealer had a huge falling out with customer (Understandibly) and somehow ended up with the vehicle for sale that i purchased. I Dropped another engine in that i already had and thought no more about it until the day i started to pull down this engine for rebuild. As i dismantled the engine i took the front cover off and there i found the culprit - the Timing cover gasket had blown around the water gallery. The Timing chain was extremely rusty and the milky oil and sludge was very thick in the timing cover compartment. Just so you know i have since rebuilt this engine and have no trouble with it at so far but it did need rebuilding as far as bearings rings etc.. I have no faith in main dealers at all as another discovery i purchased with head gasket/possible liner issues turned out to be no more than a stuck thermostat.Replaced the thermostat and nothing, no overheating no issues whatsoever and as far as i know the car is still running strong 10k miles later. Was very happy to make around$4k profit when i sold it too.
Notpretending to know what is wrong with your vehicle but obviously the main dealer did not think about this gasket possibility either.
Regards,
Nick

Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

2001 SE7 57,000 on it, not a fast drop (but a drop). Big heat spike (limped home 1hr) air temp at the time of spike 22 deg (I know ovet temp is a over temp). Replaced thermostat. Topped off went for a oil change coolant drop runs as smooth as the day I got it a year ago (with lifter ticks). Burped the system, coolant droped re-changed the oil. topped coolent, coolant drop[:@].I parked it waiting for an opening at the "shop" (50 miles away[>:]). Now what will I need? New block? Seal? Head? ThoughtI was safe with a disco2 .I will guess 2500 US (up to 5000).All Ihave to say WTF? LR knows this is an issue back in 2000. I love the disco and will get her fixed.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:01 PM
4wd Low

The same problem started with my '99 Disco II. About a week ago it started using up the coolant (I've actually been using water) every couple of days. Yesterday, I filled it and after about three hours of stop-and-go city driving, it started to overheat. It continued to run smoothly, but I went straight home and haven't driven it since.

From the various discussions on this topic I am fairly confident that the head gasket is blown and I'm willing to tackle that. However, I don't want to spend the money and time if the engine is ruined. How can I determine if the cylinder sleeve has shifted or dropped, or whatever it is that happens that destroys the engine?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

You might want to send me your tele3 number, I can walk you thru what and how to test and do.