Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAVE is not helping me with timing chain....help please?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SuperSport - thank you for the illustration - very helpful! And I wish you were closer, too - I'd pay you what I paid Avis for my rental car for your help, gladly! And throw in beer and pizza for good measure.

I estimate if I get the timing chain done in under an hour, which should be possible for most people (but seemingly not this noob!) then I have a few hours of assembly, fluid filling and such til I'm done!

Regardless, I have the week to review posts, RAVE, videos, whatever - as I am putting in some long days at the office due to calling out a few days because of me truck. I won't even be thinking about trying to finish my project til Friday night...and I rented a car thru Monday, allowing me the whole weekend to do it, and the ability to run to LR and/or auto parts store if necessary....

Please, if anyone has any helpful info to add, keep adding. It seems I have plenty to learn :-)

And one last question (ok, last for now....) should I change spark plugs? Is there a benefit? I figure since I'm learning where they are/what they do/ and taking out at least one, maybe I should? Or maybe there is no reason to?

As always, much thanks to all of you for your invaluable help and patience!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait a minute, you are just now learning what a spark plug is, while you are changing the timing chain??

That's awesome I think. Bravo on having the gusto to take on this project. How many miles on the engine?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes change your plugs while your there, keep reading and asking questions you will get there

Old 06-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by caymandrew
Wait a minute, you are just now learning what a spark plug is, while you are changing the timing chain??

That's awesome I think. Bravo on having the gusto to take on this project. How many miles on the engine?
Caymandrew - it's kind of like trial by fire! This "project" started last week, I started to overheat. Stopped immediately, let it cool in supermarket parking lot while I went in for coolant. Figured I just needed to bleed the thing - which I've done before, with instructions from the forum members. BUT, my coolant was leaking right out.

I limped it home, and with the help of the RAVE and my limited knowledge, traced it back to what I thought was the water pump. Asked questions, received help, ordered from Atlantic British. My water pump was fine, but the gasket looked pretty deteriorated. Put it back together, and almost cried when it started leaking from what now appeared to be (with a little more knowledge) my timing chain cover.

Soooo... I dove in. Pretty much out of necessity, it's my only car. (sold my "extra" car a few months back when I was in a cash crunch - and am still in it, which is why I can't just call LR or a mechanic!)

Have been seeking advice, instructions since. And was advised to buy timing chain kit as my truck has 120k on it, and I would be in there anyway. So I did.

And then I spent the better part of this past weekend cursing and/or totally frustrated when I hit road block after road block of seemingly easy issues. Like putting the pry bar on the wrong side to "bump" the engine. Getting enough leverage (I'm "petite"...ok, really short) to release the serpentine belt..... A milk crate is my new best friend!

I've learned a lot along the way. Including my DII may be a pita, but I'd prefer it any day over the Nissan Altima I rented this morning :-)

Lucky for me, everyone keeps jumping in with help. Pointing out little things that may be obvious to most - not to me. Like to take the spark plugs out to do the timing chain....which by the way, had me cursing out Magilla Gorilla, every LR engineer that ever walked the face of the planet, my "stupid hands" and more!! LOL

And that's how I ended up doing my timing chain without knowing what a spark plug was!

Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Winching

Haha, That's great! I've spent countless hours wishing I could have a word or two with the engineers at LR, especially the guy that put the coil packs where they are!! Which is why I asked the miles. Although I agree with drowssap about changing the plugs while you are in there, if you're at 120k you need to do the wires as well. Magnacor 8mm spark plug wires. But those wires are a little over $100 and Bosh Platinum #4 plugs are $6 each. If Money is tight that is a project you can delay, no urgency to do it now while doing the chain. But add it to your list of priorities. Also check out Disco Mike's Major Service List at the top of this forum.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Mudding

Magnacor 8mm wires added to list.

Any place in particular you buy them? I may be able to swing $100... now that I've started, I think I'll feel "incomplete" if I let anything go undone...

I can eat PB&J's a little longer....

Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Winching

I found them on ebay for the best price. Check Amazon too.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You can save yourself some money and put on Kingsborne Wires. I have been running them for over 2 years with the Bosch +4 spark plugs and love them. You can order directly for $35 and free shipping.

IGN 790 Kingsborne Spark Plug Wires Ignition Wire Set - Kingsborne Ignition Spark Plug Wires Sets made in the USA

Old 06-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Marni
Magnacor 8mm wires added to list.

Any place in particular you buy them? I may be able to swing $100... now that I've started, I think I'll feel "incomplete" if I let anything go undone...

I can eat PB&J's a little longer....
For the record, I'm totally impressed. Most women I've met wouldn't even consider doing any of this work. I have a neighbor who is the exception to that rule though. Her and her husband will both tackle engine replacements and such. While he's at work, she'll get everything disconnected so when he gets back, they can lift it out together.

Again, totally impressed.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

x2 on the
IGN 790 Kingsborne Spark Plug Wires Ignition Wire Set - Kingsborne Ignition Spark Plug Wires Sets made in the USA
same yourself a ton of money I just put a set on my p-38 and the look the just fine

Quick Reply: RAVE is not helping me with timing chain....help please?!?