Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Air bags question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Air bags question

Is the re a way to hook these bags up so that I can regulate the pressure in them with out having the pump do it. I remember my teen years we use to buy air bags to insert into the springs then us a gas station air guage to fill them up to say 60/70 lbs to raise the rear of the car. Is is possible to do this with the LR System with a "T" fitting and a valve filler?? Thanks

Last edited by MrFlea; 07-30-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You are talking about the old style air shocks, we used them on our cars too for trailer towing.
Chevy Caprice with a Airstream trailer, wanted to go camping, hook up the air compressor and filled the shocks until the car sat level.

If you are having trouble with your SLS you are better off just replacing them with springs.
Land Rover Discovery II Rear Air Suspension & Coil Spring Kit - Land Rover Parts & Accessories At Atlantic British

Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Why????

Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Overlanding

OK guess my next question will be what would a good price be for spring conversion....parts only I can do the work. I would like it to set somewhat even or maybe a slight lift. It's a 2001 SE7 thanks for any answers

Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You are not real good at answering replies, are you?
Why get rid of a perfectly good system? Are you ready for the truck to ride like crap after converting and do you have the funds do do a full lift, cause you can't just change out the rear and leave the front along.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrFlea
OK guess my next question will be what would a good price be for spring conversion....parts only I can do the work. I would like it to set somewhat even or maybe a slight lift. It's a 2001 SE7 thanks for any answers
I posted a link to a spring conversion in my original reply, you can go to a junk yard and pull the springs and seats out of a junk yard DII, all years of the DII will fit.
Or you can just buy a complete lift kit and have new shocks and springs all the way around.
Just depends on your wallet.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Overlanding

Hey Disco Mike you better not be talking to me like that. I'm not some *******. I asked a question about the air bags being re routed to utalize the bags using a different air source. If I didn't answer you for the "why" it's because I really don't think it's any of your business. I asked the question and it's ignorant to answer a question with a queston. First of all who said the system was perfectly good?? maybe I just don't like it. In any case it's my business whay I want to change it so if you can't handle giving me the answer then STFU!!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Mudding

Wow dude, folks are trying to help you and you mouth off, not cool brother. The air bag suspension is a perfectly good and useful system when properly serviced, which few folks do.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got a general question to go along with this thread. How does Air bag suspension compare to springs off road?

We had air bag suspension on our van and it rode like a dream but I can't help but think that it would just be another complicated thing that breaks when you least need it to on a Land Rover.

Originally Posted by MrFlea
Hey Disco Mike you better not be talking to me like that. I'm not some *******. I asked a question about the air bags being re routed to utalize the bags using a different air source. If I didn't answer you for the "why" it's because I really don't think it's any of your business. I asked the question and it's ignorant to answer a question with a queston. First of all who said the system was perfectly good?? maybe I just don't like it. In any case it's my business whay I want to change it so if you can't handle giving me the answer then STFU!!!!
Relax man just be patient. That's Mike being Mike. He just wants to know so he can help you best.

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 07-30-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
I've got a general question to go along with this thread. How does Air bag suspension compare to springs off road?

We had air bag suspension on our van and it rode like a dream but I can't help but think that it would just be another complicated thing that breaks when you least need it to on a Land Rover.

Relax man just be patient. That's Mike being Mike. He just wants to know so he can help you best.
While I have never driven or rode in a SLS equipped DII offroad I can imagine that it is easier on the body.
That being said if there is a fault the SLS WILL drop down to the bump stops and you will have a very very harsh ride all the way home.
Also keep in mind that if you get yanked out or you yank someone out at just the right angle you can dislodge your SLS and it will go flat.
And from what I have heard the air compressor does not like deep water, the compressor is under the passenger floor and deep wading can kill it from what I've heard, so I cannot confirm nor deny this.
I do know that for general driving the difference between standard springs and the SLS is not really noticeable for most people.

Quick Reply: Rear Air bags question