Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear axle breather removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Rear axle breather removal

I have never yet had to or had a chance to do any wading, but I think it's always best to be prepared, just in case. So, I picked up a 25 meter length of icemaker tubing at Lowes this weekend and am planning on running the rear axle breather down the frame, and into the engine compartment, so it can be with its brothers and not feel all left out in the wheel arch.

How the Sam Hill does it remove from the axle tube? The breather just appears to slide into a grommet on the axle, but it will not pull out. I can rotate it completely within the grommet, but no extraction. I didn't want to pull too hard, for fear of breaking the old breather. I've thought about trying to remove the grommet, breather, and all, but I'm worried about the grommet disintegrating, and pieces falling into the axle. I can get a new grommet from my buddy at a Landy dealership for $3, but I really don't want to have to pull the axles and differential in search of small grommet pieces that are playing hide and seek.

Ideas or suggestions from anyone who has done this before?

(yes, I have already read through 20+ threads that contain the words "axle breather" to no avail)

Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/FTC2176.cfm

I dont know about a DII but on a DI you just unbolt it from the axle.
If you look at the pic in the link you can see the hex head, is the DII breather different?
Will a DI breather fit on a DII?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spike555
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/FTC2176.cfm

I dont know about a DII but on a DI you just unbolt it from the axle.
If you look at the pic in the link you can see the hex head, is the DII breather different?
Will a DI breather fit on a DII?
Yes
Yes
No

Imagine a PCV grommet, with an outside diameter of 3/8" and an inside diameter of 1/4". Thats what DIIs have atop the rear axle. The breather tube just presses securely into the center of that grommet. I've tried to find a picture online I could link, but no luck.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have a pic of where it mounts on the rear axle? I have never really noticed it.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you axle seals are leaking, then don't try and fix what isn't broken.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Pro Wrench

I can't find a decent picture online to post. The best picture I have is on page 51-1 of RAVE, but I cannot copy and post that page with the programs I have.

Mike- axle seals aren't leaking, OEM breather isn't clogged. I just don't like how the transmission, transfer case, and front axle breathers are routed high into the engine compartment, while the rear axle breather just goes into the left rear wheel arch.

I didn't like the way my car didn't come with CDL, so I installed a '04 CDL shifter. I don't like how low the OEM breather is, so I am going to route it into the engine compartment with the other breathers.

I will probably undertake this this coming weekend, and I will make an attempt at a how-to (assuming I don't really bugger it up)

Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Morpheus, I ran into the same issue last weekend, my pinion seal is leaking so wanted to check the breather but had similar fears.

i tried to see if I could pry it out with a small screwdriver but couldn't get a grip on it. Interested to see what the landrover gods have in store for me on this one...I have had this truck for 3 months and its been an adventure.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Pro Wrench

Well Reg, I will hopefully be either able to tell you the best way to remove it, or the worst and most expensive way.....stay tuned!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to check out you doors seals too. http://www.youtube.com/user/cuda2266#p/u/66/Rs8KaMlDCiE

Willie

Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Oh sweet Lord!! I definitely don't plan on ever getting that deep, even when it's above freezing!

Quick Reply: Rear axle breather removal