Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear A/C

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear A/C

Hypothetically speaking, since I don't own a Disco yet. I am looking at a '99 with third row seats, but no rear air. Would it be possible or at all feasible to source the components and install them myself?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: Rear A/C

It can be done, but you are talking about a lot of work and even more parts, pretty expensive to do.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Big bucks, lots of work and trouble down the road.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the input guys. Guess I'll have to reconsider or live without. I'm gonna go look at and drive this Disco later. I'll try to take some pictures and post them up. Just a little background that I could tell from looking at the outside. '99 Disco II. Kinversand exterior, darker beige interior (I don't think it's Alpaca Beige, but I could be wrong). Harmon Kardon sound system, third row seats. No rear A/C. Kinda weird, I was under the impression that certain items only came on certain trim levels, but this truck has the front seat armrests, the Harmon Kardon system, but does not sport an SE or HSE trim badge on the front fender. Am I wrong about these items?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok, took the wife and son and took the truck in question for a test drive. Truck has 107k+ miles, some small cosmetic flaws. Small dent in front passenger door, sagging headliner. Overall, most of the wear seems typical for a 9 year old vehicle. Driver heated seat doesn't work, but passenger does. Driver side heated seat switch doesn't even light up, so I'm guessing it's probably a fuse. Check engine light is on, but owner says it's the number 2 O2 sensor, so I'm guessing no biggy to fix, I've got an O2 sensor socket. Didn't get a chance to take any pics.One more question. There are two large vent opening on either side of the rear door. Does anyone know if these flow cool air from the A/C to help cool the rear cabin area?
Also, current owner is asking $6500. Don't have the cash right now, but he agreed to $5500 if he still has the truck in two weeks when I get my bonus. What do you guys think about this price?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Team Owner

Are you sure they are vents and not speaker grills?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Pretty sure, but not positive. I'm very familiar with car audio, and they don't look like any speaker grille or size that I've ever seen. When I first looked at the truck, it was running and the A/C was on, but not on full blast. I could feel a little bit of air flow from them, but it could just be some kind of ambient vent, not a powered vent like I'm hoping for. The grilles in question are roughly 4"x8" and are on either side of the rear hatch door.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Team Owner

Not sure what they are, sorry. You could always turn the fan to high and then feel for air.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling

That was on the list (along with taking pictures) of stuff that I didn't or couldn't do while I was looking at it. Wife and son were kinda ready to go after we took it for a test drive.Overall drove very nice though. One question, it has the SLS, but the only button I saw refering to it was the one next to the fuel door release. All it did was raise the rear end. Is there not some way to drop the rear end as well?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

I do not know that answer, somebody who has the air ride can tell you. I would think so though, lower the rear end so that it is easier for the passengers to get into the third row.
I am 80% sure that you can, I think I remember reading it in a brochure years ago. But sorry, I cannot conferm this.

Quick Reply: Rear A/C