Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear camera wire route

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 04:54 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts
Default rear camera wire route

I'm planning to install a back up camera..

From some previous threads it looks like I can get the power from the right rear tail lights.

I've chosen to go with a wired camera vs. wireless. My thoughts are this may be more work upfront but may be less prone to having issues later. And I've already order it so no going back now.

So the question. Is it easier to run the wire in the head lining or under the carpet and come up an A-pillar?

Any help from previous experience is apprciated.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:16 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Headliner. You can just pry the edge clear and tuck the wire behind it quite easily. The trickiest part is when you get to the back quarter, when you change from the fibreglass headliner to the plastic panels. You'll need some small panel prybars to get behind that.
There's a cavity inside the right rear of the cabin with a vented cover on it. Makes a great place to ground things and make connections as there's plenty of room in there to work and stow any connections safely.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I ran 2 camera wires to the back (radio & Rear View Mirror). mollusc is exactly right. It is actually fairly simple.

The following users liked this post:
Getkraig (10-17-2022)
Old 01-26-2021, 12:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

I installed a wired backup camera recently too. I ran the cable through the existing hole behind the right tail light (covered with a piece of cardboard, you can poke through it), then down to the bumper. My backup camera sits under the hitch (held by strong magnets), because it is the only position, which provides unobstructed views and has no blind spots. I just laid it on the floor under the carpet, it will go in the head lining later.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:45 AM
TReK

My camera is mounted inside the truck, on the bottom of the high-level brake light enclosure. I had to mask the illumination LEDs because they caused glare off the window glass, but the camera has a great view and is protected from knocks and weather. There's no trouble with visibility during the day, and for night viewing I have a pair of floodlights mounted on my roofrack, powered by the tail lights via a relay that's triggered by the reverse lights, so they only come on when the headlights/taillights are on (i.e. when it's dark) and when the truck is in reverse.

The following users liked this post:
Getkraig (10-17-2022)
Old 01-26-2021, 07:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
My camera is mounted inside the truck, on the bottom of the high-level brake light enclosure. I had to mask the illumination LEDs because they caused glare off the window glass, but the camera has a great view and is protected from knocks and weather.
I tried that but there is a blind spot behind the spare tire, because I have a bigger one. A child or a small object is hidden. With a stock size tire it might be different. When backing up off the road I see obstacles like rocks much better from my worm's eye view. My hitch rack would obstruct the view from a camera in a high position.

Last edited by Discorama; 01-26-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
My camera is mounted inside the truck, on the bottom of the high-level brake light enclosure. I had to mask the illumination LEDs because they caused glare off the window glass, but the camera has a great view and is protected from knocks and weather. There's no trouble with visibility during the day, and for night viewing I have a pair of floodlights mounted on my roofrack, powered by the tail lights via a relay that's triggered by the reverse lights, so they only come on when the headlights/taillights are on (i.e. when it's dark) and when the truck is in reverse.
Can you post a pic of your roof rack reverse light wiring? Specifically the where you put the relay?

thanks

Old 01-27-2021, 06:41 AM
TReK

I put the relay in behind the right rear taillight. Easy access to all of the necessary supply lines going to the reverse and tail lights, and it's simple to feed the power line back inside into the cavity with the removable vented cover, and to then follow the wiring loom up to the top of the rear door.
I do have larger tyres so my mounting point sits higher because it is rotated. Even so, I haven't noticed a blind spot but I'm not looking immediately behind the truck -- I'm mostly watching for vehicles, pedestrians, animals etc. across a broader field. I haven't ever anticipated a use for a low-down view on the trails -- if I'm in that kind of a situation I'll get out and look, and have someone spotting for me.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative placement

I took off the bumper and drilled a hole in the middle and mounted the camera. It almost looks like a stock option, really clean. There are no issues with visibility but it is not the easiest mounting location. There are two pieces to the bumper, first is the shell/thin plastic piece you can see if you look at the car ( says Land Rover on it) then behind that is the actual bumper. You need to drill a bigger hole or use a saw and cut a hole from the inside of the actual bumper, don’t go from the outside. I tried to do it from the outside but it didn’t line up with the mounting bracket of the camera. It is easier to dry fit the camera from the inside of the bumper and make your cuts. If you have questions I can go in more detail but this gives you a pretty quick overview. Taking off the bumper is easy, just 2 bolts ( if they aren’t frozen...)

If you go this route you would wire the same way as any other location, just need to pop the wire into the grommet located on either side of the rear car. Once you get inside the rear you can tap into the reverse light easily (green brown wire on a D2).

Old 02-11-2021, 03:19 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

OK, so now it's time to spice into some wires and get some power for my rear camera.

I've tried to search previous threads but I can't seem to find anything.

I'm at the rear bumper lights on the right hand side. Connection C0489.

The question is: Is the reverse power wire the Green/Brown wire or the Red/Yellow wire?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: rear camera wire route