Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end clearance questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear end clearance questions

I went on my first trails with the disco on Saturday. My girlfriend and I went to Joshua Tree national park. I went down a couple of trails and soon realized that I need to do a few more things to the truck. The factoy front bumper got a nice chunk taken out. Also the rear step and trailer hitch got banged around a little. I have ome 751s in the front and 762s in the rear. There is almost a 2 inch difference between the front and rear. I was going to install spacers but I really don't like the idea. I was wondering if I put the rovertime 3 inch springs for the rear would be a close match to the front? Does the trailer hitch and rear step protect the gas tank at all from scraping or is it just in the way? I was really impressed with how it drove I would just like the back as high as the front. Let me know if you have any ideas?

00 disco 2, 103000 miles, ome lift, bfg km2

Old 05-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any pics of your disco? Also, take off the rear step.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Just a thought. I have a Disco I 1997. Sometimes I load it on the heavy side on the back. Instead of getting taller stiffer springs I decided to install the Firestone suspension air aid. These are rubber bags that fit inside the coil spring with a simple tire like valve on the bottom of the bumper. I love them. I can raise the back bumper as much as three inches if needed, then just deflate them and ride back home with my stock suspension. They were less than $200. and installation was a piece of cake.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The 751s are front springs for a D1, not a D2. Because of the suspension mount on the front end of the D2 the 751 gives you about 3-1/2" inches of lift while the same springs on a D1 only gives 2" of lift. Where did you get your lift from? They should have known those aren't the correct front springs.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah the truck needs to sit level when empty.
As for the trailer hitch adn stuff, thats just the way it is.
There are gas tank skid plates that you can buy.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

if it scrapes or gets in the way, cut it off... thats what i do...

not the method for everyone though...

Old 05-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
The 751s are front springs for a D1, not a D2. Because of the suspension mount on the front end of the D2 the 751 gives you about 3-1/2" inches of lift while the same springs on a D1 only gives 2" of lift. Where did you get your lift from? They should have known those aren't the correct front springs.
Yes, 751's are for D1's and also for D2's when people want you run a big bumper/wich, which will then level the front of a D2 to the rear while running 762's.
So the big question would be, is he going to a bumper and winch, especially since he is tearing up his bumper already.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Mudding

Aftermarket bumpers are definately on the list. The front bumper already had a couple of cracks by the headlight washers so the missing chunk is no big deal. I also want a steel bumper for the back since that one was broken when someone rear ended me. I was thinking that even after the front bumper swap that the rear would still be lower than the front. I am estimating that the bumper will drop the front about an 1/2 inch but it would still be unlevel. Plus I am not sure when I will be able to afford the bumpers so I want to make it level. I was told the 751s were the springs to get from this forum and I do like the way that they feel. I just want to make the rear the same without rigging it.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a picture of your disco? Preferably a sideways picture so I can see the lift difference between the front and the rear.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Mudding

I will go take a quick pic.

Quick Reply: Rear end clearance questions