Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hub leak question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 02:53 PM
Winching
Received 204 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Rear hub leak question

Doing the brakes and noticed a lot of crud inside the right rear rotor. Oil looks to be seeping from the area where the flange goes into the hub - this leads me to believe the hub seal is the culprit. The other 3 hubs are clean and dry.

Should I replace both rear hubs, or only the one that's leaking. Leaning towards only fixing what seems to be broke.

Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

As a field technician on equipment... do both sides. As a DIY guy for myself... daily driver or wife's vehicle then do both. As a third vehicle, do the side that's leaking. Check axle for wear around sealing surface. Check axle vent. Use a hammer activated impact driver for the philips head stuff.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Slap a new o-ring on the hub and see what happens.

The following 2 users liked this post by JUKE179r:
Best4x4 (11-10-2020), TexasLandmark (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 03:57 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I bought 2 hubs when my Right/Rear was leaking, same as yours. Replaced the bad one but got distracted with other projects and never did the left side. It's been 2 years.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:14 AM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

The genuine wheel bearings coming on the truck are well made & hearty. I would service the seal itself - the oil seal in rear is just a large O-ring & I would order a few at same time. they are cheap. This way you have one for other side and additional incase you reinstall and chaffe it going in.. ( I can say, a time or two I’ve reinstalled and knicked the seal pressing in hub & 2 days later notice that weep again. Frustrating but very achievable to get it right)

this way when you pull your wheel bearing, it will be separated from your drive axle & you can spin in your hand & feel how smooth it is. Essentially confirming Your suspicion the seal is your culprit & not your hub.. it Should spin silky smooth - if so; no reason at all to swap in my opinion. I have put many many highway and Offroad miles on my original hubs & Swapped for used OEM hubs Over new & run for 10’s of thousands of miles & counting.

If high miles - I was taught a trick to remove abs sensor & drop a tsp or so of lucas hub oil in there. Its like honey for your hub. (careful of the O-ring & ensure senser remains/wiped clean as reinstall)

Last edited by SundayFunday; 11-11-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:14 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by SundayFunday
The genuine wheel bearings coming on the truck are well made & hearty. I would service the seal itself - the oil seal in rear is just a large O-ring & I would order a few at same time. they are cheap. This way you have one for other side and additional incase you reinstall and chaffe it going in.. ( I can say, a time or two I’ve reinstalled and knicked the seal pressing in hub & 2 days later notice that weep again. Frustrating but very achievable to get it right)

this way when you pull your wheel bearing, it will be separated from your drive axle & you can spin in your hand & feel how smooth it is. Essentially confirming Your suspicion the seal is your culprit & not your hub.. it Should spin silky smooth - if so; no reason at all to swap in my opinion. I have put many many highway and Offroad miles on my original hubs & Swapped for used OEM hubs Over new & run for 10’s of thousands of miles & counting.

If high miles - I was taught a trick to remove abs sensor & drop a tsp or so of lucas hub oil in there. Its like honey for your hub. (careful of the O-ring & ensure senser remains/wiped clean as reinstall)
Based on where its leaking from (where the flange enters the hub), I suspect the hub seal - not the O-ring. Can the hub seal be replaced?

Old 11-11-2020, 10:26 AM
Winching
Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

You have grease in your hub- not oil. Not sure what you could looking at leaking back there other then gear oil from diff . Take a photo perhaps.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:24 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by SundayFunday
You have grease in your hub- not oil. Not sure what you could looking at leaking back there other then gear oil from diff . Take a photo perhaps.
You're right. If the O-ring did fail, it would leak from the same spot. I was thinking an O-ring leak would only manifest itself by leaking at the hub to axle housing joint.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Clean the vent tube. Probably plugged and causing leak.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:46 PM
Winching

Ended up replacing the hub. Cleaned up a bit too, and finishing the brakes...

Last edited by Tony Luna; 11-15-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear hub leak question