Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal

I bit the bullet, bent over, and agreed to have the dealer replace the rear main seal on my 2004 D2...I don't feel too bad about it though seeing as I had a few gaskets including the head gaskets and valley pan gasket replaced under warranty and paid only $100 for those.

...replacing the rear main seal is way over my head mechanically and I would not trust myself to screw around with the transmission and other things in order to get to that particular seal to change it...is there anything else that I should ask them to check/replace while they're pulling everything apart? I had them replace my wires and plugs while they had the engine apart for my headgasket job for no added cost, except for the price of the wires and plugs, and wanted to ask the experts on here what I should squeeze into that job for free...

...and yes, I am sure that the rear main was going bad...followed the dye and saw the leak with my own eyes.

Last edited by Disconoobie; 06-07-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Mudding

Did you pull the access cover from the bottom of the trans bell housing and make sure there is engine oil leaking into that area. The engine oil pan leaking can be very deceitful.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Mudding

They charged me $50, will be knocked off the rear main seal job, in order to take things apart far enough to see exacctly where the dye was leaking out.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Mudding

Three bolts to gain access. I think its an 8mm head on the bolts. If its wet in there the rear main is leaking. If its just wet at the rear of the engine it could be just the oil pan. Id hate for you to spend that kind of money if its a simple oil pan.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have them change the fluid and filter on the transmission too.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought an 04....the idea of the rear main going out is scary.

How many miles are on your truck?

How much is this costing you?

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the concern Ryan...I double/triple checked and on top of that am confident my mechanic is telling me the truth...I've known him for years and have bought a few cars from their dealership.

@ Spike...thanks, I can't off the top of my head rememeber when that was done...I'll check and have them throw that in if it wasn't recently.

@ oyster...mine has 76,500 on the clock...if yours has about the same or less you shouldn't have to worry too much...from what I understand the RMS usually doesn't go out this early...just my bad luck...job is costing me ~$1,300 give or take a few bucks.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If it is the rear main and not just a leaking v/c gasket draining down the back of the engine, then go buy a bottle of "White Shepard" and follow the directions. This will stop the leak, real quick.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If it is the rear main and not just a leaking v/c gasket draining down the back of the engine, then go buy a bottle of "White Shepard" and follow the directions. This will stop the leak, real quick.

www.gouniversalproducts.com or your local parts store.

i used some of the white shepherd OIL STOP LEAK in my rear axle, NO MORE RIGHT HUB LEAK!! I also used some in my t-case and no more gear oil seepage between transmission and t-case. It takes a couple of days and is the consistency of brake fluid but completely clear like water. I recommend it too.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 AM
4wd Low

Where can you buy white sheapard?

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal