Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Propshaft Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation Rear Propshaft Removal Help

Im trying to detach the rear propshaft from the transfer case so that I can inspect the drum. Problem is when I attempt to loosen the nuts that secure the shaft to the transfer case, the bolts themselves turn with the nut! I believe the nuts are rusted so tightly to the bolts that If I try hard enough to remove the nuts, the bolts will break off the transfer case... Any suggestions?

Am I correct to assume that the bolts should NOT MOVE even while using a wrench to remove the nuts? And in a worst case scenario say a bolt breaks off the transfer case, is it fixable or is the transfer shot?

For clarification of the bolts Im referring to: The rear propshaft is mounted to both the rear diff axle and to the transfer case drum. The drum has 4 ( I believe) bolts which stick out and the rear propshaft attaches to the bolts and is secured via nuts.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I have seen a couple other people mention this in the past and am not sure how to get around the loose bolts.
Curious, why are you needing to inspect the drum?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

are the nuts nylocks like the ones used on the front drive shaft? (a nut with plastic threads)

If so you should be able to heat the nuts hot enough to melt the nylon enough to pull the nuts off.

If so no great loss; as nylocks are only made for a one time use, they should always be replaced.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I have seen a couple other people mention this in the past and am not sure how to get around the loose bolts.
Curious, why are you needing to inspect the drum?
I've been advised to inspect both the interior brake shoes located within the drum, and the locator screw located on the exterior of the drum. Also want to inspect the rear propshaft itself for signs of failure as I have a slight vibration on the highway.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by drowssap
are the nuts nylocks like the ones used on the front drive shaft? (a nut with plastic threads)

If so you should be able to heat the nuts hot enough to melt the nylon enough to pull the nuts off.
I cant say for sure weather they are nylock of not. I believe the nuts on the D1 rear shaft were nylock and I actually had to use a turbo torch to loosen them. Currently dont have an extra set of nuts hanging around so I was hopeing to safetly remove them without destroying them or the transfer case.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
TReK

The rear rubber flex coupler does have afew small cracks and some threads sticking out.... I know its wearing due to age but it does not look so bad yet. Could this be a warning to replace the coupler now? I might take this route before purchasing a new front shaft. But still need to figure out how to remove the front portion of the rear shaft from the transfer case before I can do anything.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,232 Posts

If you are starting to see threads the rotoflex is due. No the bolts shouldn't turn but I've been there before.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
If you are starting to see threads the rotoflex is due. No the bolts shouldn't turn but I've been there before.
yeah. those rotoflexes are not the best piece of kit. i carry a few around in my pockets just in case. like bill said those bolts shouldn't turn.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Ditto.
Make sure to buy just the disc, BPoU has a pretty good price on the disc, them make sure you match the direction of the arrow on the old rotoflex to the new one.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
any suggestions on how to proceed since the studs are turning? Does anyone know the specs of the studs? Like the size and grade? One source says that the studs on the drum of the 1995 Discovery is: 3/8 X 1.5 Grade. Could these be the same studs used on the 2004 D2 drum?

Quick Reply: Rear Propshaft Removal Help