Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006 | 02:51 AM
|
4wd High
Default Rear Suspension problem...

Hi fellas,

For the past few weeks, my disco II's suspension seems to have a mind of it's own. At first, whenever I'd shut-off the engine, both sides of the rear suspension would go down ( I don't mean a few inches, I mean all the way down ). Then when I'd start the engine and start driving, both sides would go back up to normal height. Now, it's just the rear driver's side susspension that's going down, but's it's not just when I shut the car off - it' doing it while I'm driving. One minute it's down, the next minute it goes back up. If I hit a bump on the road, it either brings it back down or back up. Any suggestions, ideas, theories, comments, guesses ?

Old 10-09-2006 | 07:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Rear Suspension problem...

It sounds to me like you have a Air suspension prob. My mothers Discovery is going through the same thing. The SLS rear suspension in the D2 can be a slight prob from time to time. It may be something electrical. A common fix is to swap out for rear coil springs it will be cheaper than replacing air suspension.

Disco Mike and others will chime in.

Old 10-09-2006 | 10:40 AM
Administrator

Don't swap out the SLS for coils, the difference in ride od options is not worth it.
There is a problem going on with either the height sensore switches, of which you have 2, and or the control unit needs to be reset. You need to get into the dealer, they can plug in and diagnois the problem easily.
How many miles and what year is your truck?
My 99 D2, at 83,000 miles still has it's original bags although I do have a new set to install cause I have a slight leak in one bag.
Mike

Old 10-09-2006 | 07:39 PM

I had air suspension problems in my Lincoln a couple of years ago and found this:

http://www.strutmasters.com/catalog.php?cat=12

I bought the parts there for a fraction of the cost of the dealer. They make suspension parts for Land Rover, too. I think they've got the Discovery air springs for $179.00.
Great people to work with, too.

Old 10-10-2006 | 11:49 PM
Mudding

My 99 D2 has 109,000 on the original bags and they show no signs of cracking or deterioration, but I am watching them pretty carefully lately. I have been considering ordering a set from Arnott Inc soon just to have them around. Arnott seems to be regarded highly, and they have a liifetime warranty. Even my dealer told me to get them from Arnott if/when they needed to be replaced. I like my dealer!

But all that aside, follow Mike's advice and get the switches and stuff checked first.

Elliot

Old 10-11-2006 | 08:11 PM
7th Gear

I had the same problem with mine too. Do you have a hissing noise when they go down?
When driving does it get really bouncy when they deflate?
I had an air leak in mine. Replaced both and problem solved.
Hope that this helps.
Pat

Old 10-11-2006 | 11:40 PM
Administrator

I agree, Arnott is the best way to go if you have to replace the bags.
Mike

Old 10-20-2006 | 06:51 AM
6th Gear

I'm running into the same problem.... well kinda.. my rear bags just plain arent working. the back end is slammed and every little bump i hit i bounce off my bump stops.
mine is a 2000

any one have any advice for this problem??

TIA Dave

Old 10-20-2006 | 11:35 AM
Administrator

Dave,
Send me a private number with your tele number and I'll call you and walk you theu a couple easy things to check.
Mike

Old 09-29-2007 | 03:47 AM
2nd Gear

Hi guys i have the same problem as ITMagician ive only had my Discovery around 6 weeks , its high mileage (109) but is in good nick.
I came out yesterday to find rear passanger side so low its nearly touching the arch.
I used the manual of road suspension button to raise it back up the lowerd again and it stayed at correct high.
When came out this morning the whole back of the car had gone down :-(
I will attemp to fix this my self as cant afford main dealer prices
Good some one tell me the exact part name i require as am unsure what u mean by bags?
also will i damage anything by driving it carefully
Thanks

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension problem...