Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear sway bar removal question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default rear sway bar removal question

When removing the rear sway bar do you actually get anymore down travel out of your rear end? Reason I ask is cuase my brake lines are pretty much maxed out, maybe I've got a tiny bit more. I would like to take my rear sway bar off for off-road use but don't want to destroy my brake lines from more down travel. I know that extended brake lines are an option, just asking. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You will want to go to Stainlees lines.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Just go straight to +4" lines depending on your lift. I initially went to +2", now I'm going back and getting +4".

I will be honest, removing the rear sway does give you better articulation, but road handling suffers quite a bit. I got rid of mine, drove for a bit, and almost put it back in.

Do you already have front sway disconnects? SlickRock Fabrication -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated

Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
When removing the rear sway bar do you actually get anymore down travel out of your rear end? Reason I ask is cuase my brake lines are pretty much maxed out, maybe I've got a tiny bit more. I would like to take my rear sway bar off for off-road use but don't want to destroy my brake lines from more down travel. I know that extended brake lines are an option, just asking. Thanks.

The sway bar dose limit travel. You can unclip you lines to get some breathing room. Another you can do is get extend sway bar links or quick disconnects. We have them both.

I hope this helps

Old 08-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
The sway bar dose limit travel. You can unclip you lines to get some breathing room. Another you can do is get extend sway bar links or quick disconnects. We have them both.

I hope this helps
Damn, I looked around for a while for rear quick disconnects. I would have definitely gone that route, gotta link?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Damn, I looked around for a while for rear quick disconnects. I would have definitely gone that route, gotta link?
It's crazy amount of things we have. Unfortunately I don't have time to list them all.

I'll see if I can get a link up tomorrow for you.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Justin. I have wondered why I have never seen rear sway bar disconnects anywhere. It seems to be a logical mate to the front disconnects I have seen a few places. Do you have front and rear that are from the same manufacturer, so that they function in the same way in regard to disconnecting and securing them while disconnected?

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 08-22-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi, thanks for all the feedback but I'm not sure if anyone really answered my question. Disconnects sounds like a god idea but I'll ask once more:

When you remove the rear sway bar to you have more down-travel?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Hi, thanks for all the feedback but I'm not sure if anyone really answered my question. Disconnects sounds like a god idea but I'll ask once more:

When you remove the rear sway bar to you have more down-travel?
Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I will be honest, removing the rear sway does give you better articulation, but road handling suffers quite a bit. I got rid of mine, drove for a bit, and almost put it back in.

Do you already have front sway disconnects? SlickRock Fabrication -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated
Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
The sway bar does limit travel. You can unclip you lines to get some breathing room. Another you can do is get extend sway bar links or quick disconnects. We have them both.

I hope this helps
Answers in bold

Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

The other thing to be concerned about, if you disconnect the sway bar you will be over extending a standard length shock and damage it.
So, that being asked, what year is your truck, do you have SLS and are you on the original suspension.
If on the original suspension, do not drive it on the highway cause you will have a tendency to sway a lot more and could loose it.

Quick Reply: rear sway bar removal question