Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear transfer case flange questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rear transfer case flange questions

I'm looking to replace the bolts that go from the rear transfer case flange to the rear shaft, but the RAVE instructions are a little confusing. The RAVE says to remove the shaft, the handbrake drum and the center bolt first. Is it necessary to have a special tool to hold the driveshaft bolts for this, as the RAVE shows? Couldn't you just engage the handbrake?

It then says to pull out the flange with a puller (tool LRT-51-003). I assume this is just a regular puller and that I don't need any special tool, but correct me if I'm wrong. I could stop here because the flange would now be out (there's no reason to replace the oil seal as detailed in the RAVE instructions, unless it's easy to do and would be a good idea -- I could buy a kit like this: Transfer Box Output Flange Kit Rear (STC3433 Same Fit As Part # STC3433 ) - Land Rover transfer box from Atlantic British). Then I'd need to get a new nylock nut and washers and reinstall. Is it strictly necessary to get a new nut every time? I believe torquing down the nut will press the flange into the transfer case and that I don't need any special tool here. The RAVE doesn't say anything about draining the transfer case oil, but at the end it talks about topping it up, which suggests there could be leaks. Will this be a dry job if I don't touch the oil seal?

Attached are the RAVE instructions for reference.

Attached Thumbnails Rear transfer case flange questions-rear-flange-removal.png   Rear transfer case flange questions-rear-flange-instructions-refit.png