Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear transfer case seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 10:22 PM
TReK
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts
Default Rear transfer case seal

Went grease the rear drive shaft and found oil all over the E brake drum. I have read this is not a terrible job, anyone have a link to a how to or just go with Rave

Old 02-13-2022, 06:14 AM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Richard, interesting watch here, which could be your culprit. With some covid downtime a while back I had found this fellow & found him to be extremely helpful. I’ve since watched several hours on the LT230 from his channel & he points out this failed o-ring seal causing the appearance of a rear seal leak or gasket fail.

may or may not be the issue with yours - but I found so much good information I ultimately donated coffee money & have even purchased the kit he put together to address this common fault.

Britannica Restorations

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3M2b_8ZCm3s

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 09:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 188 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm experimenting with 4 oz Blue Devil Pour n Go in both my TCs. Should know if it works after 1000 more miles.

Britannica guy is funny and super practical, and knows Rovers inside and out.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZo
I'm experimenting with 4 oz Blue Devil Pour n Go in both my TCs. Should know if it works after 1000 more miles.

Britannica guy is funny and super practical, and knows Rovers inside and out.
I used the pour and go in my transfer case. Seems to have worked well for my situation. I also used in the engine and it tidied up a number of my seal leaks. We'll see how long it lasts.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:10 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

I hope some others will weigh in on this but my feeling is that we shouldn’t be using the pour in sealers on anything that we want to last. My understanding is that it will swell all the associated seals, which will probably seal better, maybe even for a couple of years, but they won’t last. There is a place for it though if you want to buy some time before needing to rebuild the unit, or get rid of the vehicle.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvlr
I hope some others will weigh in on this but my feeling is that we shouldn’t be using the pour in sealers on anything that we want to last. My understanding is that it will swell all the associated seals, which will probably seal better, maybe even for a couple of years, but they won’t last. There is a place for it though if you want to buy some time before needing to rebuild the unit, or get rid of the vehicle.
Agreed. It is not a long term fix. I am just kicking the can until I can get around to doing it correctly.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:27 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

Great. I think that’s exactly what the stuff is good for.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:40 AM
TReK

@SundayFunday I love that guy, but my brake drum has the gear oil over it and you can see the seepage. According to the land rover mechanic who was on our trip this weekend it is about 90 minute job if all goes well

Old 02-14-2022, 10:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 151 Likes on 95 Posts

I have had a bad leak coming from my intermediate shaft seal for the past year and a half. I filled it back up (about 1/2 liter) with 85w-140 and that essentially slowed my leak down enough to basically stop it. I was getting a quarter sized drop in the driveway every few days and now it's been a quarter sized drop in a month and 1500 miles later. might be wroth a shot to go thicker, unless the Canadian weather would be bad for such a thick oil. food for thought!

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 11:52 AM
TReK

@tnrangerover good idea but I already run that weight, I need to replace the the rubber donut on the drive shaft anyway so it all kind of works out. And my ebrake need to be service and pads checked too.

Quick Reply: Rear transfer case seal