Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear window switch mystery

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear window switch mystery

The rear window switches on my Disco 1 do not work. They do operate using the switches on the master controls in the front though. I thought the switches in the back were bad. Both the passenger and driver's side switches aren't working. I checked the fuse and it is fine.
This is the point where I get confused and slightly frustrated.

Is there anything that I forgot to check?

Thanks.

chrisusvi

Old 11-04-2007, 04:30 PM
b c
Mudding
Default RE: rear window switch mystery

Good luck! I would like to hear about this myself since my new 98 disco rear windows work intermitently and my previous 96 disco had the same issues until the rear windows stopped working altogether. those Brits., they must have a sense of humor to have built cars with the same old elec. issues over and over!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling

I had the same problem with my 98 disco. If you're like myself and hit both buttons on the center console to lower the rear windows you'll run into this problem at some point. The issue stems from the window ECU box, A black box (About the size of a paperback novel) with a multi pin connector located behind the glove box on the right panel above the radio amp. Located in this box, is a typical electrical green board with lots of soldier points. When you lower the windows (2 at a time) it makes for lots of electrical heat and for 10 yr old soldier joints, they tend to fail.

There is no need to remove the dash. Lower the glove box and let it swing freely by moving the glove box spring hinges on each side of the lid (About half way down) to met the knock outs in the dash. Unplug the ECU box and remove it completely. There are only three screws holding in place. The first two are right upfront, but the one in the back is a real pain to get out (find someone with small hands and plenty of time. takes longer to get it out then to repair). Once you have the ECU in hand, slide the cover off and inspect the soldier connections. I found two joints on the underside of the board breaking apart (lose with a very dull grey look. Should be shiney). So fire up the soldiering iron and reheat the connections. No real need to add more soldier just clean up what is there. Place the cover back on and give it a try. This fixed both my rear window troubles. If it doesn't then you may have to buy the window ECU unit for about 140 bucks since it may be the capaciters. FYI: all of the windows and a few other accessories run thru this box. Why? I don't know but that's the brits for you. Hope this helps! Jrock

Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey Chrisusvi,

This may sound like a stupid question. Does your D1 have a buttom on the console that will lock the back windows. Mine does and it will lock the back windows from operating. You can only use the buttons on the console to open / close windows. Check that buttom and see if the solution is that simple.