Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilding front drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default rebuilding front drive shaft

I can't seem to get the right angles to get the u joints out. Anyone know which one to press out first?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Start at the flange end of the cardan and work along. It's fiddly and frustrating but it'll come together. On assembly work in the reverse order towards the flange.

I did the opposite end first (the non cardan) just to practice installing the UJ.

This might help you: www.discovery2.co.uk / Workshop :- front and Rear propshaft Good luck - swearing and cussin' helps a lot.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile rebuild ft prop shaft; don't

It's such a pain in the posterior...and it's not very expensive to have a driveline shop do it...there are plenty of far more interesting things to do on your rig...that are flippin' expensive...just thinkin' out loud...

Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Push one about half way out...basically until you feel too much resistance.

Then switch to a perpendicular one on the same joint and push that one a bit.

At that point you should be able to get the first one most, if not all, of the way out.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks guys, with a lot of fighting I got it apart. I'm thinking of asking a shop to pull the center ball out and install the new one for me.

I'm happy I got this far though.

Another question.

I pulled my drive shaft off a month ago when I was traveling and noticed it was failing. I was aware that the driveshaft itself has to be rebuilt the with the same orientation but I didn't know it had to go in the truck the same way. Will this cause problems??

Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
Thanks guys, with a lot of fighting I got it apart. I'm thinking of asking a shop to pull the center ball out and install the new one for me.

I'm happy I got this far though.

Another question.

I pulled my drive shaft off a month ago when I was traveling and noticed it was failing. I was aware that the driveshaft itself has to be rebuilt the with the same orientation but I didn't know it had to go in the truck the same way. Will this cause problems??
It is better to be returned to the same position on the drive flanges but not imperative. BUT, it is imperative to mark all the relative positions of the UJ's, cardan and shaft all along the shaft for balance purposes. Never use pencil or crayon as it will wash off - always use a center punch or good metal scriber.

Take detailed photographs before disassembly as this helps and note carefully which way round all the cadan components are assembled. Makes for an easier life later when assembling and only takes a couple of minutes. There is an excellent sticky on rebuilding the shaft and a couple of very detailed threads to help you.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by onewingman
It's such a pain in the posterior...and it's not very expensive to have a driveline shop do it...there are plenty of far more interesting things to do on your rig...that are flippin' expensive...just thinkin' out loud...
Nah, it was a doddle two months afterwards, I say - eh.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I was aware that the driveshaft itself has to be rebuilt the with the same orientation but I didn't know it had to go in the truck the same way. Will this cause problems??
It shouldn't. Even not keeping the same orientation of the components isn't a big deal provided you have it balanced. I'm in favor of balanced even if assembled the same way.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Got it all together! Only took a week and like $80 for parts and another $100 for tools and grease.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Now on to the next project.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Got it all together! Only took a week and like $80 for parts and another $100 for tools and grease.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Now on to the next project.
Better a bit slow than a no go. Good to hear it's done and dusted and back up together. You won't need to do it again for another few years hopefully.

Quick Reply: rebuilding front drive shaft