Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Rebuilt engine=no start and f2 fuse popping (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/rebuilt-engine%3Dno-start-f2-fuse-popping-44099/)

Savannah Buzz 10-01-2011 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is whole engine management schematic - hope it loads

Also - save the fuses - remove blown one, meter for 12 volts to ground - that side of the fuse conector is "hot side", then measure "cold side" with resistance to ground - should see some sort of very low reading. Contiue testing and reading should change. If you keep putting in a fuse, damage could occur in some cases.

Do not put in bigger fuse, do not wrap fuse with tin foil, don't jump fuse and wait for smoke. Yes, we've all heard about the guy who wrapped chewing gum foil around a bad fuse and made it back from Boliva overland....

ruffram 10-01-2011 09:07 AM

I appreciate it. I tried to download the rave last night and had trouble with ZIP file not un-zipping. I am gonna try again tonight. I am going to check for spark while cranking. I suspect I am getting zero spark. If the ECM is in fact driven off of power from Fuse 2, it seems like the ECM isn't providing power to the coils etc to fire. The more I think about it, the engine should still run even if the 02 sensors aren't sending signals and MAF isn't getting power. SO I am thinking my no start condition is directly related to the short in F2 circuit.

ruffram 10-01-2011 11:17 AM

THank u so much Buzz. THat is a good idea about using the meter instead of blowing 100 fuses. I am very much afraid of putting in a larger fuse. My dad did that once on his goldwing to a persistently blowing fuse and he ended up slightly melting his wiring harness all over the bike. His 10 amp larger fuse cost him $5000 to have the whole wiring harness replaced.

Savannah Buzz 10-01-2011 11:22 AM

You would be amazed at how many boats, 4 wheelers, trucks, etc. are burned up by fools wiring things in without a good sized fuse. Sorry the pdf files of a pdf are not clearer, kinda like a copy of a copy of a copy, but you can download the RAVE for free, keep it on a USB drive, tote from PC to PC, etc.

ruffram 10-01-2011 11:56 AM

The way I am looking at it, it looks like Line E on Page 55 ends up at camshaft position sensor. That would definitely keep it from firing I would think. I feel alot better now about what wires to look for and where to narrow down my search. I should get to work on it more on sunday I am eager to try and get this figured out.

ruffram 10-02-2011 11:31 PM

Many thanks to buzz, as tonight I was able to find the cause of the problem. There was a wire going one of the emission air valves that had a spot of copper showing and it was laying on the intake manifold. finally found it after a couple hours of work with the multimeter and lots of trial and error. HOWEVER truck still doesn't start. Cranks over fine just no starting. I pushed the interia switch but no luck there. Any ideas what would keep it from starting now? All the fuses inside truck and under the hood are good, all sensors are reconnected. I am at a loss and this SOB is being awfully stubborn. CPS is the most common answer when one won't start, but this truck ran till I pulled the motor to rebuild it. I took the CPS off during rebuild and cleaned the outside with brake clean and put it back. Any chance that could be it?

0304Disco 10-03-2011 01:26 AM

For what is worth. After my engine rebuild or within 20 miles I had a failure of an o2
Sensor followed by failure of my crank position sensor of which I also cleaned.

Savannah Buzz 10-03-2011 04:08 AM

Crank sensor would be a strong suspect. My bad in not suggesting you "shake the wiring", a wire harness can easily get nicked when engine is pulled out of truck (we don't have a assembly line robot) and almost "spot weld" to nearby metal.

ruffram 10-03-2011 10:33 AM

I am going to replace the Crank Sensor tonight just to say I did. Hopefully that is it. Who knows how old it is anyway, would be good peace of mind even if that isn't the problem. But reading old posts it does seem like a likely culprit. It was caked with old grease/oil so I used alot of brake cleaner to get it cleaned up chance is that finished it off. I consider myself lucky to find the short so easily. Wiring diagram definitely helped. Thanks again. Ill let you guys know how it goes after installing crank sensor

ruffram 10-03-2011 07:25 PM

So I replace the crank sensor and am ready to rock. IT STILL WON'T START!!!!!!! cranks and cranks and cranks. I pushed the interia switch cranks and cranks. I rechecked all the fuses, they are all good. I pulled a plug to look/smell the end of it, and no fuel, no scent of fuel. As much as I have been cranking on this thing the past couple days it should stink of gas but not a drop/whiff. SOOOOOOO what are common causes of inactive fuel pump, anything I might have done to cause this? I hooked the line back up, even if I didn't fuel should be all over the garage floor and it isn't.