Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt Transmission won't shift into park to start Rover

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 12:55 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt Transmission won't shift into park to start Rover

I've got a 1975 Rover Series 3 109 with a rebuilt 4.6 liter Rover V8 and a rebuilt ZF automatic transmission. A few days ago when I arrived home I could not get it to shift into park. After shifting down and back up I got it into park. Today, the truck wont start but all of the appropriate dash light are on as if it is ready to start. When I wiggle the gear shift, it will sometimes kick as if it will start but then stops. I think the starter inhibitor switch is not working right and telling the computer its not in park, but not sure. Any ideas or other things I should check. Battery is good. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:42 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Mine does this every so often. Indicator lights usually show that it's in park but it won't turn over. I'm pretty sure it's the XYZ switch being very slightly off adjustment.
I can usually solve it by whacking hard on the back of the shift lever to nudge it forward a fraction of a millimetre. It does sometimes require me to shift through the gears and back into park and a couple of key cycles.
Long-term fix will be to adjust the XYZ.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:44 PM
8th Gear

Thank you....I suspected it might be the XYZ. If whacking it won't work, can you please tell me what the XYZ looks like or attach a pic. I see its suposed to be on the side of the tranny but I am not sure I am looking at the right thing. First time dealing with this. Much appreciate the help and glad to now you hada similar issue.

Bill

Old 02-27-2023, 02:14 PM
TReK

The xyz is on the left side of the transmission, and can be accessed pretty easily without needing to lift the vehicle.
It looks like https://www.ebay.com/itm/224749631393
There are two bolts (pretty sure they are 10mm) that hold it in place; one is in a slot which means that the xyz can be rotated slightly. Have an assistant sit inside the truck with the ignition on but engine not running so you can read the displays, and then slowly move the xyz until all the lights light reliably and correctly when the lever is moved and returned to Park. Tighten the adjustment bolts and see whether or not the problem goes away.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:35 PM
8th Gear

Awesome...thank you so much. Will get under tiomorrow and get after it. Much appreciated.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:10 AM
8th Gear

Okay..well at least I know I am not totally crazy. Didn't know what the xyz looked like because I don't have one(first picture). I have traced the issue to a bad solenoid (second picture) and when i press it in completely with a screw driver, starts right up. Have any of you seen this set up before? The solenoid screws into the side of the gear shift and I can't seem to locate a serial number or brand on it. Choices online don't seem to have the screw section I need. Any advice on where to find one much appreciated. I will take it to a couple local shops and see if I can find one. Thanks for the help! 

Its the solenoid with the two wires that appears to be dead

No xyz!! Its the solenoid with the two wires that appears to be dead​​​​​​​

Old 02-28-2023, 09:32 AM
8th Gear

Here is a pic of the solenoid I am trying to replace

Old 02-28-2023, 11:00 AM
TReK

The xyz is further back than you're looking.
I don't think that's a solenoid -- just a press switch. You could probably find a replacement at any auto parts store.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:05 AM
8th Gear

Is the xyz attached to the lever that moves with the gear shift?

Old 02-28-2023, 11:20 AM
TReK

No. It's on the left side of the transmission, about halfway along its length. #9 on the diagram below:

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Transmission won't shift into park to start Rover