Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

relays ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default relays ??

I've been having problems with my a/c blower motor not working, traced the problem down to a corroded connector near the blower motor, anda bad relay ( corrosion, due to condensation. I assume). This is one of two identical relay's mounted on the side of the blower motor housing, I just fixed the connection, switched the relay's around, and the a/c seems to work perfectly.
What is the other relay used for??? Each of the relay's have one wire that is color coordinated to the two wires that power the blower motor, but still with one bad relay the motor works???? I'm completely stumped on this one, any info?

Also,twice now, the tc abs and hdc (three amigos?) have come on simultaneously. They come on, and go back off after the truck has been re-started. Is there any preventative maint to do? Any ideason the cause of this?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: relays ??

On your 3 amigos, do your brakes squeak, are your wheels covered with brake dust? This is one of the more common ABS problem and should be corrected before you set a code at which time you will need to spend $100 plus just to have the codes read.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Rock Crawling

No, breaks don't squeak. Nor is there much dust.All four pads have been replaced with akebonoceramic padsabouta year ago, so there wouldn't be much dust. I forgotto mention also in previous post thatthis hashappend whileoff road.

Now that i think of it, the brake pedal has been a little "spongy" lately. And somewhat less stoppingpower around town,especially wheni'mtowing a trailer.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling

So, do the brakes need to be replaced again, or the system blead, or what?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You could have gotten dirt all up in there and set off a wheel sensor code.
Remove the wheels and clean all the sensors with brake cleaner.
Then bleed your brakes and replace all the old fluid with new.

As for your relay question, I have no idea.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen instances in several applications where two or more relays are used to control the same motor for different speeds, such as multi-speed to high-speed fan. I am sorry but I can't seem to locate my rave cd to give you a more definitive answer. As for the mounting location and the fact that the wire color is the same or similar, I would believe this senareo or somthing very close to this senareo to be the case. If I do manage to locate my rave cd in the near future, I will not forget and give you a solid answer to your question about the two relays. Glad to hear that every thing is opperating as designed, perhaps it was a simple matter of reseating the relay contacts. Best of luck