Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Key Fob help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Key Fob help

Hi all, I just purchased my first LR and have been excited digging in and learning about it. Did full basic routine maintenance and am researching doing some other stuff. I just found this forum, so please excuse me for jumping right in.

The Discovery II I bought came with one key and having purchased and successfully programmed used key remotes for other vehicles, I purchased a used remote key fob off of Ebay. I was told by the dealer that they could not program this used remote without the bar code. I printed the stuff here http://www.landroverclubvi.com/uploa...8601nasf_2.pdf (#14) and took it to them, but they still didn't want to help. I think they just want me to spend $$$$ for a brand new key regardless. The key has an FCC ID: N5FVALTX3 and I have the 6 digit code from the remote, is there anyone that can help me get the bar code for programming? For what the dealer wants, if I can get the code, I am going to just buy a scan tool such as the Hawkeye and do it myself, then I will have the scanner for other things as well.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I dont know if you want to put out the money for a Hawkeye just to program a key?
if your truck have ACE and SLS then I would invest in a hawkeye (i did), because those codes can not be read with a standard OBDII reader. If you truck is not so equipt you can get most codes with a standard reader and abs codes can be read with reader from black box solutions.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 AM
5th Gear

I would see if I could find a used one. Regardless, I would like to have the bar code so I can get the remote programmed one way or the other.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes, do not buy one without the barcode. they can be de-coded but no one want to do it, they want to sell you the fob.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

The guys at aulro say that the nanocom will program them with just the 6 digit code... and the nanocom is cheaper than the hawkeye.

But yeah, the dealer is not telling you the truth. I have, with big help from a dealer tech that posts to this site sometimes, acquired the code for the keys for both of my cars, and programmed them with hawkeye.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Will this work? (Or is it garbage)
For a Rangie

The handset for a Land Rover Range Rover P38 transmits a coded message to the vehicle's computer and the code changes every time a button is pressed on the handset. If the handset is operated too many times out of range of the vehicle, or if the handset batteries are removed for longer than a minute, then you might need to re-synchonise the handset to the vehicle. You also might need to perform this operation if you purchase a new handset.
To synchronise the handset:
1. If the Range Rover is locked, press the "unlock" button on the handset and then unlock the vehicle using the key on the handset.
2. If the Range Rover is unlocked, press the "lock" button on the handset and then lock the vehicle using the key on the handset.
That is according to the owner's manual. The way I learned to synch the handset is different: stick the key of the handset into the driver's door lock, and turn to the right, hold for 3 seconds, then turn all the way to the left, hold for three seconds, and finally bring it back to center.
You cannot synchronise the handset if the batteries in it need replacing, or if the Range Rover's alarm is armed.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:21 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

there are Hawkeyes on eBay.
About $450 USD

hawkeye landrover | eBay

Old 10-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
there are Hawkeyes on eBay.
About $450 USD

hawkeye landrover | eBay
Heck, I'd sell mine for that price, so that I can go buy a nanocom

I'd probably take less.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 PM
5th Gear

I sent an email to another dealer that is further away to see if they would help me. Waiting to hear back.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:13 PM
5th Gear

Bumping for help getting bar code. A buddy of mine has a coder/programmer, so I don't need to buy one. We hooked it up, but his unit requires the full bar code and I have not heard back from the dealer I emailed. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help. I can supply my code in PM.

Last edited by LR-M2; 11-06-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Edit info

Quick Reply: Remote Key Fob help