Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed Air Dam/Spolier with Fog Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Removed Air Dam/Spolier with Fog Lamps

I got really tired of looking at that stock front end with that low clearance Air Dam. The Prez of FPLRG told me most people either pull them off or break them off if they try to go out on the trails around here, so off it came. What a difference, I can get under the front end now with no problem. Take a look at the pics.

Did someone say they were looking to purchase one of these? Mine is available very reasonably priced.

Attached Thumbnails Removed Air Dam/Spolier with Fog Lamps-dsc01652.jpg   Removed Air Dam/Spolier with Fog Lamps-dsc01651.jpg   Removed Air Dam/Spolier with Fog Lamps-dsc01653.jpg   Removed Air Dam/Spolier with Fog Lamps-dsc01646.jpg   Removed Air Dam/Spolier with Fog Lamps-dsc01647.jpg  

Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

so you are not trimming it and putting it back on? your just going to leave it exposed?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Baja

Just tore it off, have not decided what to do with it yet. May trim the sides and reinstall, but I'll be looking at other bumpers moreso.

Like a big heavy duty one from a work truck or something substantial.

Also want to replace that funky plastic grille.

I would like to have some way to attach some walk boards on the side when working under the hood.

Did you ever see the old Dusenburgs and Cords. They had real nice wide running boards.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i like the saudi grills. you can create your own bumper if you can weld i have seen plans floating around for basic measurements... i'm just going to trim the existing one I think. still give the clearance needed but keeps the stock appearance.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I trimmed my bumper last summer after ripping it apart on a stump. Then I asked a friend of mine to weld recovery point on the metal part. I cut it a little bit so the recovery points are welded directly on the frame.

Name:  IMG_3575.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3668.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  82.8 KB

Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man Jull that came out clean!! If I could sneak another DI home like my Wifes old Daily Driver as a dedicated Trail rig the complete removal like Danny Lee and with the Eventual custom replacement like JULLs really 1. cleans up the front of the Disco and 2. Serves a function as even my neighbor who just drives hers around in the snow has that poor stock bumper demolished on an otherwise clean DI. I love parts like the DIs front bumper that was clearly designed as an afterthought to try to give the truck better MPG in vain.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Baja

I don't see any function for plastic on a bumper. Those end caps are just one more place to collect mud and debris. What good can they be as a bumper.

I'll eventually find something to put on there. My wifes cousin was a mill welder for a number of years, but he got into "Consulting". I asked him about his welder, heahad a real nice rig, but he sold it cheap cause he said people were always bugging him to weld something for them.

I may buy a small welder or try to find one at a surplus or farm auction.

Been a long time, but I've burnt some rod as well.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Free isn't always Free

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I don't see any function for plastic on a bumper. Those end caps are just one more place to collect mud and debris. What good can they be as a bumper.

I'll eventually find something to put on there. My wifes cousin was a mill welder for a number of years, but he got into "Consulting". I asked him about his welder, heahad a real nice rig, but he sold it cheap cause he said people were always bugging him to weld something for them.

I may buy a small welder or try to find one at a surplus or farm auction.

Been a long time, but I've burnt some rod as well.
What a riot I have a buddy in town that has the curse of being able to fab. up pieces/parts for our rigs with a press brake and a mig welder faster and cleaner than any of us. Needless to say we're always bugging him like your wife's cousin, I better randomly drop him an extra case of beer off before he snaps too!
If any of you haven't seen or experienced this you might of had a similar experience as the guy/gal with the massive diesel 4x4 pickup truck in your group of friends and family, everyone thinks you're a tow truck and or a moving van! Needless to say I sold that truck "down sizing"!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Baja

I may trim those plastic caps and put them back on for now, but I'm looking to either pick up something substantial from a salvage yard or getting some scrap ( I am in Pittsburgh after all, plenty of metal working shops around) and fabbing something myself.

One "JOB" I had prior to my early retirement was Director of Quality at a metal fabrication plant. We did some stuff for the Bradley Fighting Machine and some other DOD contracts. I had my 96 Bronco XLT then.
They threw out more than you could ever imagine. But I learned a lot about basic forming and metal finishing.

I saw some 6 inch seamless thick wall tubing the other day as well as some 16 gauge plate steel real cheap. HMMM. You could even split that 6 inch and make some hellacious sliders for underneath.