Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed front bumper cover, rinsed battery = three amigos??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed front bumper cover, rinsed battery = three amigos??????

First a little history. I ran over/ hit a tractor trailer tire tread last week. It broke the driver side fog light, the bumper cover, and the small trim piece under the driver side headlight. When I learned that all that plastic and one fog light was going to cost ~$1200, I decided to just replace the entire front bumper with one of the steel ones so that I don't have to go through this in the future if I encounter another tire tread coming at me from under the vehicle in front of me.
In order to be able to drive the truck while I wait to find a bumper, I decided to remove the broken bumper cover and fog lights. Did that and wire tied all the loose hoses and stuff out of the way. While I was working on all of this I noticed that one of the battery caps was loose and there was corrosion on top of the battery. I toppped off each cell and then flushed the battery. Put everything back together and backed the truck down off of the ramps. In moving it around the driveway I started down a slight incline and applied the brakes. All of a sudden I had the three amigos light up. Hmmm? Turned the truck off and restarted, same thing. Put the OBD II scanner on and read the one code there was, then cleared the code. It came right back when I started the truck. The code is P1590 Manf Contrl Veh Speed idle speed control auxiliary inputs. This is a 2001 Disco II with ~90K miles. Have never had the three amigos in the past. Any thought, suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks

Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So, have the lights stayed on? You can't clear the 1590, ABS/Rough road code with your scanner, plus you'll need to have a special scanner to read fault codes for the 3 Amigos, when fixed, the 1590 will go away on it's own.
Are your brakes squeaking, at all? If your 3 amigos are on, go throw a panic stop on a loose surface from 30 MPH and see if you can feel the ABS pulsate thru the brake pedal.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:22 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You cannot read the abs codes with an ODBII scanner. 1590 is a rough road fault code and lights up the ABS light. Like said above an ODBII scanner will not clear the 1590 code or any abs code. Either you wrecked your hub running over the tire tread or your abs sensor is bad.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the responses. The lights are still on. I tried the stop on loose gravel. The truck stops, but did not get any pulsing through the pedal. How can I tell if the hub is bad? How can I tell if the ABS is bad? Basically what do the three amigos actually mean? Does it simply mean that the ABS is not working, or is there something more serious?
As usual Murphy came along and the wife's car is acting up and she wants to drive the truck to work tomorrow. Any thoughts on that?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Since you have no ABS pulsation, your module is bad for sure. Have the brakes been squeaking and why are you thinking you have a bad hub?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Overlanding

The brakes have always squeaked a bit, but nothing big.
The hub thing came from one of the responses above saying that I probably have wrecked the hub or the ABS sensor is bad. Have driven the truck for about a week since the hit with no warning lights. (lots of duct tape to hold everything in place)
I live on a gravel road. I occasionally see the traction control light if I brake too hard or take off to quickly, but never all three. I looked up under the truck to look for hidden damage from the hit. In the service manual the wires leading to the left front sensor seem to be in the area near where I was working. I will try checking them tomorrow to see if I knocked anything loose on that.
So, the bottom line is that I am probably going to have to find a Rover shop to reset the codes. Is that correct or is just replacing whichever part that is determined to be bad going to clear it automatically? Fortunately, any damage should be covered by my insurance, as everyone said that once they took off the bumper cover it was possible that other damage may show up.
The insurance company was very good to work with and understood me wanting to replace the plastic with the steel bumper. Since there is no lien on the truck, they basically said that I could do whichever I wanted.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:05 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The DII abs fault system is complicated and no one here understands it 100%. The 3 amigos can mean many things from squeaky brakes to a spent modulator. Just because your ABS is not working does not mean your modulator is bad though as suggested above. If you have a bad hub/bad sensor code your abs should not be working because the code has disabled it. I drove around for a year with the 3 amigos and no abs. My hub was bad. I fixed it cleared the codes and now I have ABS again, good as new. The fact is that most "3 amigos" fault codes will disable the ABS until the fault condition is fixed and cleared. I would go get your ABS codes read and find out for sure. Otherwise you are just guessing.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Administrator

If your brakes are squeaking, that has to be fixed before you go waste money getting the codes read, any squeaking will throw the ABS into a fit. Also make sure to do a full 3 pint brake fluid change using DOT4.
As for your battery that is leaking/failing, get rid of it before it starts cause all sorts of warning lights to come on.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can buy a ABS scanner off of e-bay, others on here have done it.
It is about $200 +shipping but the dealer will charge you no less than $100 each time they read your codes.
I think it is called "The ABS Amigo" but I do not know for sure.

Anytime your "3 amigos" are on you will not have ABS or traction control.
Start by looking for a loose/knocked out of place ABS wheel speed sensor.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Overlanding

Thanks guys for all the responses. I think I understand this now. Anytime a sensor, hub, or whatever fails, the system then disables all three. (ABS, TC, and Hill control) Hence all three lights coming on at once forming the three amigos.
The weather here today sucks big time so will be waiting until it is not raining to check the sensors, but now that I know that it is ok to drive the truck the sense of urgency has passed. I have been driving for almost 50 years and never had those things until just recently, so guess I can manage without them until I figure out which part needs attention.
As for the squeaking brakes, that has been going on for about a year. Not major squeaking, but normal for disc brakes. Just a short sound when first applied. I flushed the brake system last fall and replaced the fluid shortly after I got the truck. I did the 60K check up thing with all the fluid replacements, etc. The battery is fine, one of the caps had simply popped loose enough to allow some corrosion on the top of the battery. Just wanted to rinse that off to prevent any damage to the hold down strap.

Quick Reply: Removed front bumper cover, rinsed battery = three amigos??????