Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed my 4wd shift solenoid and now have a noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed my 4wd shift solenoid and now have a noise.

So last weekend I removed my 4wd shift lock solenoind that was no longer working. Chuncked the rusted up peice of junk in the trash and sealed it all up nice. Shifts great now but have a noise I do not remember before. I now have a low clunk kind of sound at low speed (walking speed). It may have already been there but do not remember it. It is definately rotational and as I go faster it goes away or I cannot hear it over the tires etc. I do not have any excessive vibration. Was thinking front drive shaft but I have a Woody HD shaft in there and grease it every oil change. So what I have done so far to figure the noise out is:

1 - Grease front shaft including center pivot on shaft.
2 - Check and top off my T-case (leaks a little).

Was considering pulling the front shaft and locking the CDL etc but was curious how the front hubs etc "lock up". Was thinking could it be possible somthing was not unlocking properly. I say this because the other day when I turned right I had a clicking noise. Hasnot done this again and after I heard it I did the drive in circles thing in both directions to see if I had any clicking and did not. The lock solenoid has not been working for a couple of years so the truck has not been put in 4wd low for a while. Also, I had to go at the solenoid removal from the top by removing the console etc. I had to unplug a couple connectors that were up there to move stuff around to get at it (pain in the ***) I double checked to make sure I got everything back together properly but is there any electrical connection I may have missed that wold cause anything like this? Linkages seem to be good and transmission seems to be shifting fine.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by remac; 03-14-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Pull your console out again and remove the shifter plate that holds the the gear selector and the hi-low selector. Then drive around with that off and see if you can better determine where the noise is coming from.

I know it is a pain in the ***, but you really can hear everything 100 times better and will be able to quickly figure out where the noise is coming from.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a good idea. Was planning on doing it again once I found the 04 shift linkage but may go ahead. Might pull the front shaft first just because it is easier and then I can really make sure my center is greased good on my shaft as well.